PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this drill press?

Glenn Howard
08-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I've been eyeballing drill presses for some time, trying to determine which one will give me the most bang for the buck. The short list so far includes: Ridgid DP1550, Delta 17-950L, Delta 17-959L, Steel City 20520, and Jet JDP-17MF.

I've also been watching Craigslist, thinking that something will turn up. One has, but I don't know much about it. Any thoughts?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/788946201.html

Bob Aquino
08-09-2008, 7:50 AM
Go take a look at it. If it runs smooth and everything seems to be there, go for it. Older Cman stuff is all american made and generally decent quality. If anything else, its much cooler looking then anything being made today with plastic covers. At 135, its quite a bit cheaper than something new and thats always a good thing.

Tim Thomas
08-09-2008, 10:49 AM
A drill press is a pretty simple machine, so if the motor is good, the quill moves smoothly and the bearings are good without a lot of runout, then go for it. Those old machines are solid and I'm betting that one is in good shape.

Glenn Howard
08-09-2008, 6:38 PM
Holy cow, I just re-read the description....78" tall! I'm only 5'7" so that sucker is nearly a foot taller than me. That would make adjusting the belts interesting (assuming there are adjustable belts in the usual location).

Kevin Groenke
08-09-2008, 6:44 PM
It should be a simple matter of removing the base and shortening the column (hacksaw, sawzall) if you want to adjust the height of the head of the drill press.

-kg

Rick Fisher
08-09-2008, 6:54 PM
It should be a simple matter of removing the base and shortening the column (hacksaw, sawzall) if you want to adjust the height of the head of the drill press.

-kg

Um.. :) A step ladder would be quick too.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-09-2008, 9:02 PM
Glen,
I have one of the old Craftsman drill presses. Mine is older than the one you are looking at but is the same casting. For a woodworker they are great. The machine is simple accurate and though not overly powerful, plenty to turn a 2" forstner bit at a slow feed rate. Mine is heavy and sturdy. I have only four speeds and change them via a stepped pulley. I find the speed range to be all I need. Most drill presses never get enough use in a home shop to wear out so this one is probably in good shape. If there is no rust or signs of damage, buy it!!
Faust Ruggiero