PDA

View Full Version : Green Hardwood

Dave Lehnert
08-08-2008, 4:32 PM
I have an outlet for some walnut at $1.40 BF. It has been air dryed for one year. Can also get fresh cut cheaper than that.
My question is how do you store your green lumber. I was thinking of some kind of rack outdoors with a large roof. Keep things dry but plenty of air.
Would like to see a photo of your storage area.

Frank Drew
08-08-2008, 6:25 PM
My question is how do you store your green lumber. I was thinking of some kind of rack outdoors with a large roof. Keep things dry but plenty of air.

That's the general idea, but stack, rather than rack, is more the idea. Scroll down to Terry Achey's post #6:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89339

Basically, you need to stack your green lumber with thin stickers every 18-24" between each layer, with the bottom layer on a very flat, sturdy and stable foundation -- your wood will only dry as flat as that first layer. The best location has nice air movement but is protected from the weather and particularly is out of, or shielded from, the direct sunlight.

Jim Becker
08-09-2008, 8:36 AM
Mine gets stickered and stacked outside with just a cover on the top to keep off standing water. The bottom layer should be about a foot off the ground. Air dried walnut is wonderful to work with (richer color than kiln dried) and it somewhat stable in my experience. All of my walnut (and poplar) has been dried this way here on-property.

Richard M. Wolfe
08-09-2008, 7:02 PM
There are many threads here about drying lumber which you can check for details. Using a flat stable surface stack the first layer about a foot off the ground to get away from soil moisture. Use dry uniform stickers every foot to eighteen inches - you can go up to about 24" for softwoods. Be sure the ends are supported also. For adequate ventilation don't make the stack much over three feet wide. Put weight on the top - I like to use boards that I tend to think are culls along with whatever else is handy. Stack where there will be adequate air flow. A cheap box fan can provide good yet inexpensive circulation for the first few weeks. And if outside try to provide for air flow, yet cutting as much direct sunlight off the boards as possible and providing for rain protection.

Dave Lehnert
08-09-2008, 9:29 PM
Mine gets stickered and stacked outside with just a cover on the top to keep off standing water. The bottom layer should be about a foot off the ground. Air dried walnut is wonderful to work with (richer color than kiln dried) and it somewhat stable in my experience. All of my walnut (and poplar) has been dried this way here on-property.
Jim!

Do I understand right that a tarp is all I would need on top of the lumber. So if rain would get blown in on the stack it will not hurt?

Jim Becker
08-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Do I understand right that a tarp is all I would need on top of the lumber. So if rain would get blown in on the stack it will not hurt?

If you use a tarp it only can be on TOP...do not let it cover the sides. You need air flow through the pile. There is zero issue with blowing rain, snow, etc....you just don't want standing water. I did use a tarp on my larger pile, but it was stapled to some of the wane from cutting the logs which was supported with a slope so any water ran off the end.