PDA

View Full Version : Finished Nightstand for our Guest Bedroom

Scott Coffelt
04-30-2004, 10:11 AM
I finally was able to get this project wrapped up. Its been sitting for a few weeks with minor things left, but I sneaked into the shop and got it done.

The NS is made from Maple (Birds eye and some Fiddleback), Walnut (from my supply of 40 year old air dried). The drawers are made from Baltic Birch with lock joints. The grain on the Walnut is totally beautiful, the front piece on the base as a beautiful swirl effect and the sides have some grey mixed in to the darker colors. I used M&T's on the base.

Finish is clear lacquer and wax.

I included a pic that shows the matching bed I posted a few months back. I have one more piece to finish this room, a TV cabinet. I had also built a matching dresser even farther back. The TV cabinet will have to wait the priority list, so I can get a NS for my son finished.

Dick Parr
04-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Very very nice Scott!

Don Abele
04-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I love the contrast between the maple and walnut. That's what my kitchen table is going to be (working on it now).

Chris Padilla
04-30-2004, 10:48 AM
It is all going together very well, Scott. Very nice and I love the minimal use of the walnut...it totally works!

Jim Becker
04-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Ah...great job. Nice design; nice figure; great contrast between the maple and the walnut. It really fits with the bed.

Mark Singer
04-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Scott,
Great design and work!

Lars Thomas
04-30-2004, 1:57 PM
Scott, that's a good looking table. Maple and Wlanut is one of my favorite combos. Did you make the bed too? Looks like a perfect match. Lars

Lars Thomas
04-30-2004, 1:59 PM
Sorry Scott, I should have read your post more closely. If I had I would have noticed you DID make the bed.

Scott Coffelt
04-30-2004, 2:05 PM
Thanks, I go in spirts, but I really do like this combo as one of my best. It seems everyhting I do anymore has Maple in it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2004, 4:00 PM
Beautiful wood and work!!!! I haven't worked with maple yet but it is on my list of woods to try out!

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-30-2004, 4:22 PM
Scott
Very nice!
What a treasure to make a matching set.
Daniel :cool:

Chris DeHut
04-30-2004, 5:34 PM
Nice work Scott!

Looks to me like this bedroom set should be showcased in the Woodworking at Home Magazine Bragging Rights section.

Chris

Todd Burch
04-30-2004, 7:50 PM
Looks GREAT Scott! Keep 'em coming!

Scott Coffelt
04-30-2004, 8:00 PM
Tanks guys. Pictures just do wonders :D , they hide the little mistakes, but hey this time my wife couldn't find it so I must be getting better :rolleyes: .

Started to lay out a design for my sons nightstand, man they really build them totally different then I would, it looks really nice but not built to the heavy duty standards I tend to. I always thought the top was solid Maple, well after really studying it tonight I realized that they used solids for the edges and then laid a layer of veneer over the top, with the curved profile it hides right in. No edge grain, however I don't do veneers, :eek: so I guess my will look different.

Oh well, thanks again for the kind words.