PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer Price ????

Shawn Walker
08-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Can someone tell me why The Grizzly GO454 20in. Planer is $1295.00, and then it jumps to $2095.00 if you get it with the spiral cutterhead?

That's an $800.00 difference, but that 20in. spiral cutterhead list's for $695.00 in the catalogue.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Any help?

Anthony Whitesell
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
$105 installation charge? Even though that's not fair since they'd probably install it during assembly.

Tim Marks
08-09-2008, 7:36 AM
I would pay $105 to save having to do the conversion. Looking at the manual, it says it takes 3 hours (nominal, YMMV), shows using a gear puller to disassemble the planer, and reinstalling the gear box cover with a rubber mallet.

Yes, I know the factory doesn't have to take any additional steps over a normal planer to install the cutterhead, but from the end-user standpoint, the adiditonal charge would be worth it to me.

Shawn Walker
08-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I would pay $105 to save having to do the conversion. Looking at the manual, it says it takes 3 hours (nominal, YMMV), shows using a gear puller to disassemble the planer, and reinstalling the gear box cover with a rubber mallet.

Yes, I know the factory doesn't have to take any additional steps over a normal planer to install the cutterhead, but from the end-user standpoint, the adiditonal charge would be worth it to me.

After reading Franks tutorial I would have to agree.
A great tutorial if you already own one and want to upgrade.
Thanks again Frank.

Ron Bontz
08-09-2008, 8:46 PM
Personally I would stick with the 1295.00 version unless you are going to plane a lot of curly grain etc. Otherwise the last time I priced a shelix head it was $800.00 plus tax and shipping. The difference in price sounds in line to me. :)

Chuck Tringo
08-10-2008, 8:13 AM
I ditched my catalog because Im moving, but the website doesnt specifically list which spiral head is included with the planer. They also sell the Byrd shelix for 995, on sale for 850 at the moment....I know that one of their 15 inch planers, the 1021x2 looks like it comes with the shelix from the pics on the website. Possibly ? Maybe ? :confused: