PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Purchasing

James & Zelma Litzmann
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Does anyone know how to locate places that will sell mirrors in sheets, not acrylic, glass.

Joe Pelonio
08-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I just go to my local glass store, there are 3-4 within 10 miles, they will cut to size. Also, you can still get the 12x12 mirror tiles at home improvement stores, and often you can find framed mirrors pretty cheap at places like IKEA or craft stores.

James & Zelma Litzmann
08-08-2008, 12:32 PM
As some of you know we use to specialize in photography on mirrors, well our local glass company now offers only mirrors that have the copper backing, our laser does not want to go through the copper. We have to slow it down to a crawl to go through the copper and by that time the picture is becoming distorted. I have searched all over and cannot come up with mirrors without the copper or to buy in sheets.

Mike Null
08-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I believe HD has some larger size mirrors that you can cut.

Joe Pelonio
08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
As some of you know we use to specialize in photography on mirrors, well our local glass company now offers only mirrors that have the copper backing, our laser does not want to go through the copper. We have to slow it down to a crawl to go through the copper and by that time the picture is becoming distorted. I have searched all over and cannot come up with mirrors without the copper or to buy in sheets.
I have not heard that before, but I just did a bunch of mirror tiles for a customer and they engraved fine. Doing some research, I found that copper is sometimes used after the silver for long-term durability. Have you tried stained glass supplies? They often have mirror in stock, maybe they have it without the copper. It's mostly used for bottoms on stained glass jewelry boxes.

I would think the biggest problem is finding a place where the staff even know whether it contains copper or not.

Tom Bull
08-08-2008, 9:56 PM
You might try to find out who your supplier wholesales from and then ask if they would mind going to another wholesaler to special order some w/o copper. We have found however that a lot of the wholesalers are being bought out and the range of selection is going down on manufacturerers of product. In our case it is plate glass for the production of cast product. This has caused us to have to re-configure a lot of processes. A huge pain:mad:.