PDA

View Full Version : ClearVue Mini -What bucket?

Charles McClain
08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I just set up a ClearVue Mini Cyclone with a Ridged 1850 vac. I've mounted it on two different 5 gallon plastic buckets (one from each borg) and it's deeply flexing in the side of either of them? I looked at the galleries on ClearVue and see plenty of them mounted to buckets with no mention of crushing. It's works great but that bucket is only going to flex like that so many times before it breaks. Is there anything you're doing to prevent crushing? Reinforcing ring? Should I just spring for a 10 gallon steel drum? I'm using this with sanders, routers and some bench top tools so 5 gallons is plenty of room. I have a Jet 1100 dust collector for the big mess makers.

Just looking for ideas?

Thanks
Charles McClain

Joe Kaufman
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Chlorine tablet containers are approximately 4 inches taller, reinforced and double the wall thickness of the normal 5 gal plastic pail. They also have a screw on lid. Around here, pool service guys give them away.

Joe

Ted Miller
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Charles, I have been using the same HD bucket for the last year on my mini cyclone. The sides get sucked in every now and then but the bucket is just fine...

Prashun Patel
08-08-2008, 11:51 AM
You can buy a cheap 10g trashcan from Ace if you get the hankerin!

Charles McClain
08-08-2008, 1:00 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I was concerned that the plastic would fatigue from the repeated flexing. I’ll see if I can find a heaver bucket from a pool supply company.

Charles McClain

John Lucas
08-08-2008, 1:21 PM
I didnt think this would be a satisfactory answer but tried it anyway: 2 HD orange buckets -- one inside the other. Still sucks in the sides but seemes to be better supported.

Tom Esh
08-08-2008, 2:01 PM
The 5 gal transparent(ish) bucket from Lowes has held up for me. As for the lids - no way. The first one failed violently with a bang. When the 2nd one started distorting ominously, I finally got smart and fashioned my own from a piece of 3/4 mdf. I routed a groove in it to fit the inside of the bucket rim closely for extra support. FWIW the max strain on the bucket will occur with restricted intake - such as using a small hose with sanders. You might consider getting a bleeder hose or attachment to reduce it. The perforated disk ROS sanders in particular generally don't like too much suction as it can actually pull the tool down on to the workpiece - with the same detrimental results as pressing too hard.

Peter Quadarella
08-08-2008, 2:32 PM
I use the Chlorine tablet bucket like Joe - it works great!

Ed Sallee
08-08-2008, 5:46 PM
Drop Ed Morgano, the owner of ClearVue, a line.... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=3101
I met Ed a while back..... I'm sure he'll offer any advice he's garnered through his testing.....

David Schnegg
08-08-2008, 5:52 PM
Couldn't you just screw two 1" dowels perpendicular to each other from the outside of the bucket... at varying heights. Seems like it would provide support and not impede the chips too much when you empty the bucket.

Jim O'Dell
08-08-2008, 6:28 PM
Or cut a ring out of plywood, maybe double thickness, and place it on the outside of the bucket. Screw into it from the inside. Won't interfere with the insides, and should keep it from flexing. Jim.

Scott Rollins
08-08-2008, 7:44 PM
I have the same problem. I'll be following this thread.

Robert Payne
08-08-2008, 8:57 PM
I have a 5 gallon drywall compound bucket for my CV06 Mini Cyclone and use it with a 16 gallon Shop Vac -- I do not have any flexing of the sides -- your vacuum must be real strong (mine does very well). Dust capture is superb.

Bill Evans
08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
This was my first try. A fiber bucket from Penn State Industries. Not so good.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/wre1962/SC3wi4AovYI/AAAAAAAAEPA/QXPta3TDqgw/s800/Drum%20Crush%20A.jpg

The steel bucket from McMaster Carr is working great.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/wre1962/SEmj076diKI/AAAAAAAAEcY/kgcrm9CtGbQ/s800/New%20Festool%20Cyclone.jpg

Charles McClain
08-09-2008, 8:13 AM
Jim, I like your out of bucket thinking. I thought about putting a ring inside the bucket but decided it’d be a pain when empting the bucket. Very creative idea.

Bill thanks for the picture of the fiber drum. That is what the semi transparent bucket looks like the orange bucket isn’t quite as bad, but it isn’t going back to round when I stop either. Is that the 10 Gallon Steel Drum? Just trying to get a idea of how much more room it is going to take up. I’ve go a feeling that is where I’m going to end up. We have a Grainger locally and they are only 6 dollars more than McMaster Carr for a 10 gallon steel drum. Even after adding it to my basket I never did figure out the shipping cost from McMaster Carr.

Also I do want to say that the problem I’m having has nothing to do with how well the Mini CVO6 works. I’m very happy with it’s performance. I may upgrade to a “dust Extraction” vac in the future but the mini cyclone will remain inline. It simply does a great job.

Thanks Again
Charles McClain