PDA

View Full Version : NE Finishing - Coat Bark?

Matt Hutchinson
08-08-2008, 9:14 AM
I have never completed one of my NE rough bowls. I am wanting to complete a few for the upcoming show, and I am not sure how to finish the edge. I tried a couple searches within this forum, but couldn't get it narrowed down. Do you finish the bark? Also, you have to do a lot of sanding with the lathe turned off, correct? Thanks.

Hutch

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Hutch I treat the bark just like the rest of the NE. I just use a small paint brush to apply the oil finish I use. When taking off the excess I just dab the bark with a paper towel. I also sand all the way to the edge using power sanding on both the inside and outside. When I get to the edge I use a light touch.

Matt Hutchinson
08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Do you happen to have a pic of one of your NE bowls? Also, do you mean that you power sand to the edge while the lathe is still on? Thanks.

Hutch

Nathan Hawkes
08-08-2008, 6:58 PM
Matt, I power sand the bark very carefully with the lathe running, then stopped to touch up where there is some enevitable tear out. With woods with dry bark, I've found that the dark dust from the bark can 'muddy' up the look of the sapwood bordering the bark. JME. I use compressed air often to blow off the dust between grits.

Bob Hallowell
08-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Matt,
I use antique oil on most my NE's and I put it on the bark also. I also power sand the bark on the lathe but you need to be very careful as the bark sands 2 to 3 times quicker then the wood so some times you need to power sand the high sides with the lathe off.

Bob

Matt Hutchinson
08-09-2008, 8:15 AM
Since I haven't done it before, over power-sanding the bark is one of my biggest concerns. I will be careful, and I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks for the info guys. I'm off to complete an NE bowl right now.

Hutch