PDA

View Full Version : Boston Trip

Harold Beck
08-08-2008, 8:14 AM
I am going to be in the Boston area next week and may end up with my last day in town free. I was thinking about a quick jaunt up to see Lie-Nielsen in Warren Maine. It should be a couple or 3 hour drive up from where I'll be.

What I wanted to know is if the trip would be worth the time. If you have taken the trip there and stopped and visited, would you give me an idea if the travel time will be worth it?

Thanks,

HB

Hank Knight
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Harold,

I've made that trip several times. It's just shy of 200 miles, but the traffic on U.S. 1 after you get off the interstate is usually a killer during the Summer and Fall, so you may find it will take you longer than you anticipate. The Lie-Nielsen store is a fun place to visit. They have all the LN tools on display with benches set up so you can handle them and try them out as you like. Take money. They give a 10% discount on purchases at the store. I've not visited the production facilities, so I can't comment on those.

You might want to take a side trip to the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport. It's just a few miles beyond the LN Store (like 12 miles) off U.S. 1. They have a nice school set up and an interesting gallery. I read recently that the gallery is hosting an exhibition of furniture by craftsmen that worked at one time with Thomas Moser. It looks like it will be an interesting show.

You'll probably want to stop in Freeport too. It's the LL Bean home mega store and outlet heaven with stores for many other national and international brands. If you take your wife, she'll insist that you stop.

Have fun.

Hank

JohnPeter Lee
08-10-2008, 2:52 PM
Hi,

Sounds like a long drive for a single day to me... Don't bother with LL Bean or Freeport unless you want to fight traffic :mad:. I would suggest a stop at the Maine Maritime Museum - they've got exhibits, etc., on shipbuilding the old fashioned way.

www.mainemaritimemuseum.org

JP