PDA

View Full Version : Corn on the cob - on the grill?

Mitchell Andrus
08-08-2008, 7:29 AM
Anyone got a drop-dead lip-smakkin' way to do corn on the grill?

My son and I are broadening our horizons.... Wrapped in foil ain't doing it anymore.

Justin Leiwig
08-08-2008, 7:38 AM
First you need to leave the husk on, but remove the silk fibers. Then you need to soak in in ice cold water for a couple hours so it doesn't burn. Then you put some butter, fresh cracked pepper, and some salt on the corn and use one of the husks to tie it closed. Then stick it on the grill directly and put some applewood in there too to give it a good smoke flavor. Best corn on the cob you'll ever eat! :D At least I think it is.

Joe Pelonio
08-08-2008, 7:42 AM
Exactly how we do it too, Justin, but I use hickory. You have to watch for a sale though, unless you grow your own. We used to get it 5 ears for a dollar, now a buck apiece is considered a bargain.

Lee Schierer
08-08-2008, 7:46 AM
Four bucks a dozen seems to be the going rate around here right now. Our own is about 2 weeks away.

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2008, 7:52 AM
You can't go wrong with Justin's method.

Jerome Hanby
08-08-2008, 8:01 AM
How about an easy easy method

But frozen corn on the cob

Still frozen, slather it with butter and wrap it in foil

Put it on the grill first thing, grill everything else, then pull it off the grill

Comes out tender and yummy every time. Other ways I tried, the corn came out a little tough, I liked it but the kids weren't too wild about it.

Using this method you can have corn ready to go on the grill whenever you like.

Greg Heppeard
08-08-2008, 8:46 AM
For a south of the border flavor, try sprikling a little chili powder or taco seasoning on it with the butter then grill w/husk on.

Neal Clayton
08-08-2008, 9:18 AM
or some crab boil, depending on where you're from and how your mom-an-nem do it ;).

Tim Thomas
08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I've tried a couple of the recipes from this article (or similar recipes anyway). I actually like the one that calls for mayonnaise. Give it a shot, it is certainly different (and IMHO delicious).

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9905E4DD1F30F932A2575BC0A96F9582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Justin Leiwig
08-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I've tried a couple of the recipes from this article (or similar recipes anyway). I actually like the one that calls for mayonnaise. Give it a shot, it is certainly different (and IMHO delicious).

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9905E4DD1F30F932A2575BC0A96F9582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

I've heard of the mayonnaise thing before, but for some reason cannot bring myself to put it on corn on the cob. I like to taste the corn flavor without much else really, so I go sparingly on everything else.

Bruce Page
08-08-2008, 1:57 PM
LOML & I just got back from the Olathe sweet corn festival in Olathe, Colorado. Man they grow good corn up there!
We brought back 2 dozen ears @ .020 an ear. (picked that morning)

I’m going to try Justin's method tonight!

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2008, 2:37 PM
Anyone got a drop-dead lip-smakkin' way to do corn on the grill?

My son and I are broadening our horizons.... Wrapped in foil ain't doing it anymore.

Yah what justin said leave the husk on while grilling it, and use only salt when you eat it. Butter smothers the flavor.

julie Graf
08-08-2008, 6:15 PM
just throw it on there!

i've soaked it and not soaked it, and as long as it's fresh it don't matter much.

i trim the top of the silk, but just so they don't hang out and burn. actually, i think i skipped that just now. oh well. i have 7 on the grill as i write. i turn them every so often - they do take a while, i'd say 20 or so minutes at 350-400. i like mine cooked, my bf likes his crunchy, so his comes off sooner. then we butter after, and sometimes i like to throw mine back on after the husk removal and buttering to get some nice grill marks. tasty.

you can char the outside without burning the inside, and they just steam themselves. easiest thing ever.

the other thing i like about the grill is that you can leave them in the husks if they are leftover and put them in the fridge - no need to wrap them!

on a side not - STRONGLY suggest everyone try grilled carrots. get a bag, half them lengthwise, rub em down with olive oil (or veg. oil) salt & pepper them too. and gril them till tender. best carrots ever.

Joe Mioux
08-08-2008, 6:57 PM
I just throw the corn with the husk and silks still on. The silks will minimize burning.

Once the outside is charred in 2 or 3 places, the corn is done.

Husking is easy and the silks don't stick.

Joe

Tim Morton
08-08-2008, 8:09 PM
ever try removing the entire husk and tossing it in a pot of boiling water for about 6-8 minutes and then drenching it in butter with some salt?

I have yet to see a reason to improve on this method....:cool:

Mitchell Andrus
08-08-2008, 9:53 PM
I'm with you Tim, but if you try to hijack the thread again we'll gettcha behind the pool. The thread is about BBQing the beasties.

Boiled, buttered, salted - hard to beat.

Went out to dinner tonight and what did I find on the starters menu.... Grilled Corn on the Cob!!!!

Cleaned, dunked in Italian salad dressing, salt and pepper, grilled til golden brown and rolled in Parmesan. Served with a wedge of lime. Incredible. Finished up with the best ribs I've had in years.

Denny Rice
08-09-2008, 3:59 AM
You guys make me hungry....My family has not bought any corn for over 10 yrs to keep in the house. We had our son tested for allergies (had a skin condition) and found out of all things he was allergic to corn and corn based products.......Ya, it sucks. We have to shop at the grocery for products with no HF corn syrup (its in everything) and we have to buy a lot of organic foods. Hopefully he will outgrow this condition. I would love a piece of corn on the cob!!

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2008, 6:21 AM
ever try removing the entire husk and tossing it in a pot of boiling water for about 6-8 minutes and then drenching it in butter with some salt?

I have yet to see a reason to improve on this method....:cool:

Tim,

I bet I've eat SEVERAL DOZEN ears of corn fixed just like that. Mighty tastey Silver Queen corn!!!!!! Yummmmmmm~!!!!!!! Now I'm hawngreey!!!!:eek:

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2008, 6:23 AM
For a south of the border flavor, try sprikling a little chili powder or taco seasoning on it with the butter then grill w/husk on.

OOOHHHH!!!!!! Now I'm gonna hafta give that a try!!!!! I really LIKE my food with a taste of "kick" to it. :D

BTW, nice bike in the pic Greg.!!!!

Greg Heppeard
08-09-2008, 1:15 PM
OOOHHHH!!!!!! Now I'm gonna hafta give that a try!!!!! I really LIKE my food with a taste of "kick" to it. :D

BTW, nice bike in the pic Greg.!!!!

If you like that, try some Anaheim peppers brushed with a little olive oil...just grill them inside down until they have some grill marks on them then turn them over and put a slice of jack cheese in them and when it melts, they're done.

Leigh Costello
08-09-2008, 5:07 PM
I made some the other night, made a foil boat, spread some honey butter on top and set them on the grill. Once the food was cooked, I got the BBQ sauce and brushed everything, even the corn. Whoops. But it turned out sooo good, hubby asked if I could mess some more up tonight. :D I believe I will.

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2008, 7:23 PM
hubby asked if I could mess some more up tonight. :D I believe I will.

ROFL!!!!!!!!

The LOML does stuff like that once in a while....mighty tasty at times. :D

Russ Filtz
08-11-2008, 7:36 AM
Don't mess with soaking, etc. Just toss it on the grill. Don't worry about the singed parts. Unless you really burn them it actually tastes great caramelized. Ever hear of fire-roasted corn? Chefs actually burn it over an open flame. I keep grilling until the outside is almost ALL black, not just in a few places.

Mitchell Andrus
08-11-2008, 8:40 AM
I've done it exactly this way. It's a great way to do it especially when the corn is super sweet.

Prashun Patel
08-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I like Justin's method. But the way my Indian family does it is to season with salt, pulverized red chilli pepper powder and lemon.

Joe Chritz
08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm lazy.

Pull most of the silks and toss it on the top rack until everything else is done.

Soaking in water a few hours is better but just plain comes out good every time.

Joe

Marjorie Saws
08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I like to grill them coat them with butter add salt and pepper and wrap them on swiss cheese.

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
So Mitchell, have you boldly gone where so many have gone before? Who is the winner so far in the Great Corn Grill Off? One thing is for sure, we need to have a big Creeker convention and cookout. Between the drink recipes and the food recipes we could have one fine party!

Rod Sheridan
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
If it's fresh, I simply grill it.

If it's from a store I soak it and then grill it.

Funny I found this thread now after having ribs and corn last night!

Regards, Rod.

P.S. If you have any left over fruitwood, the chips make a nice smoke taste in the grilled corn.

Greg Narozniak
08-11-2008, 2:56 PM
Get some heavy duty foil. Add the ears with the husks removed, add salt and ice cubes and seal it up. Throw it on the grill and let it go for 7-8 min a side.

Yummy!

Bill Arnold
08-15-2008, 3:25 PM
I simply remove the husk and silks, wash it and slather it with margarine while it's still cool. With the grill medium hot, I sprinkle it with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper as I put it on the grill. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, rotating it a bit to cover all areas and let it get some grill marks on it. I can't think of any other method that retains the flavor and makes the corn taste really sweet.

:)