PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection to engraver

Jeremy Shepard
08-07-2008, 8:06 PM
I have an Epilog Legend 24 TT with 3 computers that are used by different people for different applications. To this point one computer has been connected to the engraver and all jobs have to run through that computer.

We are making some changes and this is not the most practical way to run things anymore. I was thinking there must be a way to use a wireless network adapter, or wireless print server connected to the laser engraver's network port. All the computers we are using connect to the office network wirelessly (using a wireless router).

Does anyone else use a similar setup? Am I looking for trouble? I suppose I could use a wireless to parallel adapter, if that was more reliable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Stephen Beckham
08-07-2008, 8:47 PM
Jeremy,

I've got my Mini 24 hooked to a Linksys that has both wireless and four ports. I put a static IP in the laser plugged into one of the ports (and my sublimation printer in another) and let my laptop hit the wireless for accessing both. It works pretty good.

The only issue I have had, is problems with the AT&T Internet. Having two connections on that laptop, sometimes the printer driver doesn't see the router because it's looking for it on the AT&T port - I just have to disconnect AT&T and everything works fine again.

I think the AT&T software is a virus....:eek:

So does Microsoft... :rolleyes:

Larry Bratton
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Jeremy:
I run my laser wirelessly all the time. My Windows network employs a couple of Linksys routers and switches with 4 desktops and 2 laptops using the system. It is Windows XP. My laser is connected to one of the desktops via USB cable, it of course, has the Epilog driver installed which appears as a printer. To connect wirelessly, install the printer driver on the laptop, then identify the printer that is on the machine with the USB port as the one you want to use. It will appear on your printers and faxes under Control Panel. You can elect to use it as your default printer if desired. You, have to be connected to your network to print to the laser, but I find it works well. Some say an ethernet connection does better and I may try that in the future, but right now this works ok. Good luck.
(Edit- this of course goes with the installation of the driver on the computer with which you want to use to print. Every computer you want to send to the laser with, has to have the Epilog driver installed and identifying that printer on wired connection)

Mike Null
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Ditto here.

Jeremy Shepard
08-11-2008, 8:40 AM
Thanks guys. I had been thinking that I would use a print server on the network as a dedicated "computer" to run the engraver. I have an old computer that I'll use for that instead...it will be a better setup and very similar to what you guys are describing.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

J