PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever turn drumsticks?

Steve Trauthwein
08-07-2008, 3:59 PM
My grandson is wanting to play the drums and I thought I would turn him a set of rosewood drumsticks but I can't find any dimensions. Anyone ever turn them or have a set on hand or dimensions?

Regards, Steve

Frank Kobilsek
08-07-2008, 4:18 PM
Steve,

Tried once. A local drummer was telling me about custom made drumsticks that where balanced specifically to the desires of the specific musician. So he came out one night with several sets that he liked and we tried to turn sticks. We measured, we sketched, we turned we weighed them, we tried to balance them on a fulcrum to identify the center of gravity. He is a Quality Engineer in his day job so we had those tools too. The result was even a few thousands of a inch on diameter moved that balance point a mile. We decided that the really expensive custom made sticks might really be worth the money, at least from the being able to reproduce them angle. So while we made a few sticks that looked OK we failed at the goal, we had a beer, scratch our heads and called it an evening.

Find a drummer to give you a beat up old set, measure them up and you'll be able to turn the sticks you want for your grandson.

Frank

Mark Rios
08-07-2008, 4:23 PM

Doesn't the turkey meat fly all over the place?

Scott Lux
08-08-2008, 9:54 AM
I made several sets for the nieces. Mine were not musician grade. They were made so 3-8 year old kids could bang on stuff. They work great for that. I did try to put the "bead" on the business end, mostly for my own satisfaction.

If you have a steady rest or some way to stabilize them, use it. being long and skinny they get whippy.

Lux

Neal Addy
08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I tried once but the bone kept slipping out of the chuck.

jeremy levine
08-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Having played the drums, I can safely say there are a huge number of sitck shapes ( not so many lengths )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumsticks#Snare_drum_sticks
Gives a few dimensions the hardest part will probably be the tip. Don't make them too thin at the top they will snap right off.

Jon Lanier
08-08-2008, 12:22 PM
My grandson is wanting to play the drums and I thought I would turn him a set of rosewood drumsticks but I can't find any dimensions. Anyone ever turn them or have a set on hand or dimensions?

Regards, Steve

I've thought about it, but can't figure out how to get the chicken to stop moving. :D

Dane Allen
08-08-2008, 2:19 PM

Doesn't the turkey meat fly all over the place?

I just thought of an exciting way to eat corn on the cob :D

Colin MacDiarmid
08-08-2008, 4:25 PM
this site give sizes on their drum sticks hope it helps, scroll down their page to see!!
http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Drums_Percussion/Acoustic/Accessories/Sticks/sc1164_pg0.aspx

even drummers names we will recognise

Paul Downes
08-09-2008, 9:41 PM
I have been plotting to make a set for my brother. I just need to get some osage cut down and a little time. I figure he will just have to be satisfied with what he gets.:D