PDA

View Full Version : Green Tape

Brian Robison
08-07-2008, 3:24 PM
Hidee Ho Creekers.
I've got some green mask that I bought from? In Wisconsin?
I think it's a polyester. Any whoo. What's a good setting for engraving
through the tape. I'm attempting to apply to brass, raster, sand blast and then oxidize.

Frank Corker
08-07-2008, 4:59 PM
Woohoo hoorah! I wonder what green mask is :confused:

Brian Robison
08-07-2008, 5:17 PM
You never saw the movie with Jim Carey and Camron Diaz?

Nah, it's a masking tape designed for lasering and sand blasting. I think I got it, I'm going with 600dpi, 100% power and 30% speed. Washing with DNA, sandblasting with silicone carbide, washing again with DNA and then oxidizing. So far so good.

Frank Corker
08-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok Brian, you have to post something with pictures so I can see what it actually does, I really don't have any idea on what you are referring to but I would like to see it.

Dan Hintz
08-08-2008, 1:51 PM
Frank/Brian, your avatars are an interesting match... and Brian, yours is just freaking me out ;)

The tape is most likely a high-temp polyester often used by powder coaters, though it could be one of the high-temp polyimides. Is it kind of translucent?

Angus Hines
08-08-2008, 2:57 PM
Pics would be helpful :D

Frank Corker
08-08-2008, 4:59 PM
Okay Angus now you really are freaking me out!! :eek:

Angus Hines
08-09-2008, 8:05 AM
It's what happens when Monkeys get to much laser exposure...And spend all day staring at Corel !!!!

Okay Angus now you really are freaking me out!! :eek:

Richard Rumancik
08-09-2008, 9:04 AM
I asume Brian is using an Innotape product. Innotape makes various industrial tapes, some of which as specific to laser and sandblasting. They have some other useful laser products . . .

http://www.innotape.com/productsbyindustry/laser.php

Frank Corker
08-09-2008, 9:23 AM
Thanks Richard, I get the drift now, good site.

Dee Gallo
08-09-2008, 9:48 AM
Thanks for that link, Richard, looks like a great resource. I've requested a catalog, hope their prices are decent!

cheers, dee

Brian Robison
08-09-2008, 6:47 PM
Sorry, been busy. Yes it was Innotape and it was the green used for powder coating. Now I remember why it bought it.:rolleyes:
I didn't take any pictures but, using it and then sandblasting was enough to get the oxidizer to work on the brass. Pretty cool. It still doesn't look as good as the Alumimark though.
Any one have any idea why none of these products (Alumimark and just regular brass) are supposed to work outside? Joe, you there?

Scott Shepherd
08-10-2008, 9:57 AM
Any one have any idea why none of these products (Alumimark and just regular brass) are supposed to work outside? Joe, you there?

From the people who make Alumamark, here's a PDF that shows it's properties and reactions to various conditions. It says that outdoor is not recommended without being sprayed or laminated. I'm assuming they mean a clearcoat on the spray. They have a good tech support department, I'm sure someone there can tell us how to make their product outdoor durable.

http://www.horizonsisg.com/alumamark_durability.pdf

Might just be as simple as giving it a quick spray with clear from a rattle can.

Mike Null
08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Steve

It is not that easy. I sprayed all my outdoor plaques with clear uv spray but they still deteriorated within a year.

I did not try a laminate but I was concerned about peeling with a laminate.

Alumamark is an oxidizing process which Horizons keeps secret. I have visited their plant in Cleveland and they will not assure you of good outdoor performance even with uv coating. It only lengthens the life but not to the extent most of us need.

I was going to use it on another job and my client tested it in their engineering labs for reaction to various chemicals and cleaning agents and it passed that with flying colors.

Bill Morrison
08-10-2008, 11:56 PM
I know what all of the words are except oxidizing as it relates to your subject matter. What is or what does it do, or something like that.
Bill
I'd post a pic but you guys would think it was an avatar.

Bill

Brian Robison
08-11-2008, 9:53 AM
Hi Bill,
Oxidizing will turn the engraving to black. Rotary engravers do it all the time to get a good contrast.
The laser doesn't engrave into the metal enough to get a the oxidation process to work. That's why I'm playing with masking, then sandblasting, and then oxidizing.
You can buy a liquid that helps to oxidize quickly from JDS or Johnsons.
Mike, where would I get the UV spray from?