PDA

View Full Version : Artist's water colors for dyes...

David Rose
04-30-2004, 2:54 AM
Has anyone tried this with good success? I assume there should be no bonding problems. I need some dye quickly, and the daughter just gave me her old paints. Some are dried, but I haven't checked the colors that I need yet.

I don't normally do much wood color changing. I tried a couple of times to catch Homestead "at home" and left a message but no returned call. I guess retail sales are not a serious part of Jeff's business. I really would like to try the TransTints, but doing little dying they are kind of overkill for what I need anyway.

I need to match some orangish birch somewhat to a couple of other pieces on a gunstock that are walnut. Several of the multi-piece military stocks are mismatched wood but I don't often get them for refinishing. If I can get the color close, I will just seal it with shellac (blonde or colored) and use rubbed out varnish top coats. The piece will see more use/abuse.

David

Richard Gillespie
04-30-2004, 8:25 AM
Dave,

I've used artist powders to mix with stick epoxy wood filler to match wood color involved. One point you have to remember is that the epoxy doesn't absorb any of the stain you will be using so you have to have it the correct color from the get go.

I've used alcohol based dyes to mix with shellac to match the wood and grain pattern on a piece of antique furniture that had Magnolia Veiner. I was unable to get replacement veiner and had to create faux finishes in several areas.