PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Grizzly G0500

Frederick Ieppert
08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
This is my first post although I been reading and learning from this great forum for some time now. I've learned that you can learn alot just by keeping your mouth shut and listening for awhile. I would like to have a bit of advice on a possible jointer purchase and respect the opions on here.
I'm going to look at a Grizzly G0500 8 inch jointer. This will be my first jointer. I was holding out for a Grizzly G0490 but came across this one that is used but used very little (minutes of use not hours) It comes with a Shop Fox mobile base. Asking price is 500.00. Should I consider this or wait for the G0490 with paralleogram beds? This will be quite cheaper as its local and there will not be any shipping charges. I like to buy machines 1 time with the thought that it will serve me well for a long time. Additionally is the price in the ballpark? Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

Butch Edwards
08-07-2008, 4:26 PM
my friend, I don't have the 8" you speak of, but I will say this... the 6" Grizz that I've had for 3 years now, still runs as good as the day I bought it...and I've put alot of boards through that machine. as for the price, That's your decision, but I can only say that Grizzly makes fine machines...at least the 6 that I own are.. I know that the parrelellogram cutters are costly, but are said to do a fantastic job....and they'd better, for that much money...:rolleyes:

if you feel comfy with the deal, go for it... cuz no matter what ya buy, it'll be too small down the road...;)

Tom Davis
08-08-2008, 6:49 AM
Frederick

I have this jointer and it has been a good tool. No problems of any type. I added a spiral cutter head from Grizzly whuch has also performed excellent.

I agree with butch's comment about the bed size. When I owned a 6" jointer, I was sure an 8" would meet all my needs. Now I crave a 12" machine.

Tom

Eric DeSilva
08-08-2008, 8:17 AM
I've got the same one. Took my time with set up and it works great. Very solid piece. I had to take some minor rust off the beds, but the cost was less--think I paid about $350 on CL. $500 seems a bit high to me, but probably depends where you are. Either that or I'm warped 'cos I got a really good deal without knowing it.