PDA

View Full Version : When old things become new again...

Don Carter
08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
This is my first shaving brush with turned handle after one week of shaving (I wanted to try this thing out to see how it holds up). I do not know what the wood is. It was a gift to me. The brush is fairly long, almost 5 1/2" overall. It has a CA finish. I have enjoyed making it and really enjoyed using it. What do you guys think about stuff like this?

Daniel Heine
08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Very nice brush. I have been shaving with a mug and a brush since 1970 when aerosol propellants were first identified as depleting the ozone layer. To this day, I do not use any products in spray cans. I think shaving brushes could be a big seller of you were to partner with a fine mens clothing store. They could be displayed on a rack similiar to the ones used for bottle stoppers, and I think would sell very well. Brushes can be purchased from one of our very own here:

http://www.turchetta.com/goldennib/brushes.htm

I think there is a big market out there for this, and no one has touched it yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan

Don Carter
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks Dan. I did buy the brush "knots" from Anthony and he was very helpful with some questions that I had during the process. He sells very high quality badger knots and the tutorial on his website is the best. I am going to do some more brushes for family and friends. I am just a hobbyist, but one of my friends is the owner of a high end men's clothing store. Great idea!

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2008, 2:14 PM
Very nice brush. I really need to try one of those. Well done.

robert hainstock
08-07-2008, 3:39 PM
A realy good liiking brush. The wood maybe cocobolo??? :)
Bob

Paul Douglass
08-07-2008, 5:24 PM
I use a shave brush always have, just get a better shave. I'm curious how do you fix the brush in the handle? Epoxy?

I like the longer handle you put on that one. Very nice job.

David Hullum
08-07-2008, 5:42 PM
This looks great I have been wanting to do one of these but didn't know where to start. Thanks for sharing.

Don Carter
08-07-2008, 9:24 PM
I use a shave brush always has, just get a better shave. I'm curious how do you fix the brush in the handle? Epoxy?

I like the longer handle you put on that one. Very nice job.

Paul:
Thanks. I did use the Devcon 30 minute epoxy to attach the "knot" to the handle cavity. Take a look at Anthony's website here
http://www.turchetta.com/goldennib/brushes.htm

Anthony was a big help to me and he sells the "knots" too. I turn these handles just like a bottle stopper on a homemade mandrel from a 3/8" bolt with the head removed. The key to really nice brushes is the knot. These badger silvertips are very high quality. I am working on some more with a Corian handle and a Black Walnut one.

Anthony Penchetta
08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Man that is a big handle :) Pretty nice. You can not find large handles like that no place if you are out shopping for a brush. Most companies just make the standard small to medium handles which I think are a bit hard to hold on to. I use a fairly large handle as well.

I think once you go back to trying a brush, you will throw away that can of foam. I use a lemon shaving cream from The Art of Shaving.

Great job Don, look forward to seeing the others you make.

Paul Douglass
08-08-2008, 9:15 AM
Very anxious to see the next ones. Maybe you should consider a turning a mug to hold the soap also.

Paul Engle
08-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Have you ever tried alluminum or brass - copper ? they turn pretty easy and polish up very well w/ 1000 + grit and ruby or white buffing compound or use a brush for swirl patterns etc. and urethane or lacquer finish.You can inlay wood or just about anything in the butt of the handle or sandwhich brass rings / copper ...etc between layers of contrasting wood, or creat a cavitie/s and fill with thinned epoxy or ( JLanier has a recipe for melting acrylics ) and flour gold etc ( ritzy class ) Very nicely done for sure Don. I like the longer handle. I still have my plastic one from boot camp ( for locker inspection ) in 1970 at Ft. Ord and enjoied shaving with soap untill blood thinners cause too much loss of blood when cutting my self and switched over to electric thingy ... sigh.

Don Carter
08-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks, Paul. I have not tried the soft metals but it sounds interesting. I would like to try something smaller that would fit into a turned tube with a top for travel. Thanks for the ideas.