PDA

View Full Version : Best router bit for mortise?

Tony Bilello
08-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I used to use my drill press with I believe is called a mill end bit to make a mortise. I would put my workpiece in a cross slide vice, pull down the lever and make a series of close holes. When I made the last hole, I would hold down the lever and crank the cross slide vice back to the original hole, cleaning up the sides along the way.
This was many years ago. Is there a better bit I can use and will a router bit work in only about 2500 to 3000 rpm?

Thanks in advance

Tony B

Charles Neil
08-07-2008, 2:34 PM
I am not sure if a router bit will work...I just did a clip for Woodcraft using a new jig called a Zip Zlot Mortise Mill...and it uses a drill bit with a hand drill..and the jig works very similar to what you have described , so i would think that the bit would be excellent ..it will be avail in 1/2 1/4 and 3/8 ..it looks like a upcut spiral routerbit...it hasnt hit the market yet and is avail only thru Woodcraft..I didnt see it on their web yet either...so just keep an eye out...If you have a upcut spiral router bit ,give it a try , it may work as well now that I think about it....but as a word of caution drill bits dont work in routers...too much speed....

POST NOTE: just went out and tried both bits...the upcut spiral did good, turned my drill press up to about 2500 rpm..the drill bit did well also, it seems to have more of a twist...sort of a cross between a drill bit and a spiral bit, I did have to put both in a vise to keep them on track..wouldnt suggest doing it free hand...it seems to want to jump around some...a mill or vise is safer too...and i found it did better if i predrilled just as you described..be safe and hope this helps

Josiah Bartlett
08-07-2008, 2:38 PM
I think a good sharp 4-flute end mill is still the best way to do this if you are using a drill press. A router bit will not make a clean cut at low RPM, it works kind of like a lawnmower blade.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-07-2008, 2:48 PM
Whiteside's 3/8" staggertooth is a really shizzy bit for deep mortises.

Tony Bilello
08-07-2008, 4:03 PM
I appreciate your time and responses.
The end mill bit works fine, was wondering if a router bit would do better.
Anyone know any place to get an end mill bit in or near Kemah, Tx.
Last time I bought one, I lived near a machine shop type store.
I have bought drill bits and router bits from places like ACE and they were all junk.

Tony B

Peter Quinn
08-07-2008, 4:26 PM
I've used end mills made for aluminum in a bridgeport to do roughly the same thing, just a bigger machine. I think they are Four flute roughing mills in HSS. Chip extraction is not optimal so we use compressed air to blow out regularly. We spin them about that speed, 2000-3500 RPM depending on diameter and species. You might look for a spiral up cut router bit made for aluminum. I hear the geometry allows them to spin slower, might work, not at all sure on that one. Amana and Onsrud both make them.

In any case the machinist at work has advised the guys in the cabinet shop (me being one of those guys) against subjecting a drill press to lateral forces by using it in that manner. Given we have a bridgeport dedicated to wood its not a hard order to obey. Not sure I'd try it with my low budget Delta import over the long haul. That thing can barely drill straight as it is!:D