PDA

View Full Version : If you have a walnut tree in Boulder . . .

Bob Coleman
08-07-2008, 9:47 AM
Or know someone who does, you could probably get some really nice walnut cheap. Who knows how old these trees are!

-Bob

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/aug/06/city-nearly-400-walnut-trees-must-come-down/

Mike Shields
08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Or know someone who does, you could probably get some really nice walnut cheap. Who knows how old these trees are!

-Bob

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/aug/06/city-nearly-400-walnut-trees-must-come-down/

Is cankers disease contagious to humans?

Or is it crankers that I'm thinking of!

If it's in Peoples Republic of Boulder, I'll pass. There's probably some stipulation that you must have alot of bumber stickers like "Free Tibet" on the vehicle that will haul the wood.

Geoff Barry
08-07-2008, 1:45 PM
I suspect a lot of those trees will end up at a place called TC Woods, a sawmill in Boulder county out by Erie that slabs up waste trees. For any private owners, they'll even buy certain trees. As I mentioned in another thread, if yo like the natural edge and shape, it's great -- if you want milled boards, less so, but they have a lot of interesting wood.

And as for the cracks about Boulder . . . enjoy your Convention :p Now I'll go back to staring at the Flatirons . . .

Mike Shields
08-07-2008, 3:41 PM
I suspect a lot of those trees will end up at a place called TC Woods, a sawmill in Boulder county out by Erie that slabs up waste trees. For any private owners, they'll even buy certain trees. As I mentioned in another thread, if yo like the natural edge and shape, it's great -- if you want milled boards, less so, but they have a lot of interesting wood.

And as for the cracks about Boulder . . . enjoy your Convention :p Now I'll go back to staring at the Flatirons . . .

No intention of offending anyone, but I guess I did. Sorry.

And, no, I won't be at the convention, I'll be riding the canyons of your backyard!

Geoff Barry
08-07-2008, 5:05 PM
No, no, I wasn't actually offended :) I've lived in Boulder long enough to have heard 'em all, but Im Not From Around Here, in more ways than one. But having grown up out East (including living for a number of years as a child in East Orange, NJ, about two blocks from where Per Swenson apparently has a shop), I'm glad I traded the joys of a somehwat gritty urban environment for being accosted by earnest young folk mumbling something about whales or the environment. Or maybe buddha -- I usually don't catch much of it. And most of the last part of that was a joke, too, if any earnest young folks are reading.

And the upside of a place like Boulder is the presence of businesses like the TC Woods place, that essentially recycles waste or problem trees. I just wish more of the waste trees were straighter . . . or white oak or cherry . . . . But based on that above link, it sounds like it's worth a call to see if that's where any walnut trees are headed.

Loren Bengtson
08-18-2008, 1:19 PM
And the upside of a place like Boulder is the presence of businesses like the TC Woods place...

Not to mention places like Mustard's Last Stand. Great hot dogs.

Loren