PDA

View Full Version : Long-time lurker intro

Maria Alvarado
08-07-2008, 7:19 AM
Guess I've been flushed out of hiding. I've been lurking at this site for some time now. First things first, my first name is Maria. (Got nervous when I joined when they asked for name and birthday. Having had my identity stolen once, I'm skittish about personal info). Learned a LOT from all of you. Have been attempting various woodish activities for a couple of years and began turning last fall. Don't have much time to dedicate to it, but I think I definitely have sawdust on the brain now :). Anyway, by way of showing some of what I've done, I'm posting a sample of some of my pursuits by instrument: This first set was done by knife/chisel (baby set) or mini-grinder (does it count if the tool spins?)
94216 baby bowl, and 2 spoons in cherry

94220 mallee burl winged bowl

94217 Banksia pod bowl

94218 bottom of banksia bowl

94219 Cherry chip & dip bowl

The rest were done on the lathe. Well, o.k., you'll have to wait for those. Upload is now disabled. I'll try again.
Thanks for looking,
Maria

Glenn Clabo
08-07-2008, 7:38 AM
That is some interesting work. I like your style! Keep the pictures rolling.

robert hainstock
08-07-2008, 7:39 AM
That is some neat work. and some inovative, artistic work too I might add. Very impressive. I'm looking forward to some more pix. :):):)
Bob

robert hainstock
08-07-2008, 7:44 AM
Are you downsizing your pix to under 107kb? If not, download www.pixresizer (http://www.pixresizer), (free) to get your images under 107kb. I had fits the first few times I posted. Nice to have you aboard.
Bob

Maria Alvarado
08-07-2008, 8:05 AM
Yes, everything is under 107 kb. I think it was the length of the filename, but it's slow again now. That's weird. I was starting a new thread, was able to upload, then canceled, tried replying here and now can't upload the exact same files. Hmmm. Is there a cap within a thread?:confused:

glen box
08-07-2008, 8:16 AM
Very nice work. I love the chip and dip bowl. I like your style. Cant wait to see more.

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2008, 8:25 AM
Maria - Welcome to posting on the Creek! Once you get over the shyness you will find it is a lot of fun! Outstanding work! Your cherry chip & dip set is amazing! Like the others - you have our attention and we all look forward to seeing more of your work!

As to the upload issue - you can only upload a file one time. In order to upload the same item a second time you must change the name of the file. Just one of those quirks of the software.

Bob Hallowell
08-07-2008, 8:36 AM
Welcome Maria your work is stunning, glad you joined.

Bob

Jim Becker
08-07-2008, 8:38 AM
Great work, Maria!
-------

Steve already pointed out one aspect of uploading. The other one is that you can do a maximum of 5 per post. No matter...if you have more, just reply to your own thread and add 5 more...repeat as necessary to get them all in your thread.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Bill Bolen
08-07-2008, 9:10 AM
Welcome Maria! I sure understand your hesitation and applaud you ability to fight through it and join in. You've posted some really neat work and like the others I look forward to more. ...Bill...

curtis rosche
08-07-2008, 9:17 AM
that is some amazing work

Maria Alvarado
08-07-2008, 9:29 AM
Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome and encouraging words. That chip/dip bowl was a favorite and will never be subjected to either chips or dip, but rather is enjoying life as a display piece.
O.k., finally got it. For some reason I had to close the attachment window after each upload this time. Here are a few from the lathe:

94225 Natural edge-bug eaten-adrenalin racing-goblet

94226 Cherry bowl

94228 signed, even!

94229 Banksia & epoxy pen

94230 Manzanita root pen

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2008, 9:37 AM
Once again this is some beautiful work! Love the cherry bowl - great form! Also was drawn to the Banksia pen - love the effect! Seriously nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Maria first welcome to SMC. Glad you decided to jump in. The work you have did is beautiful. Keep the pictures coming.

robert hainstock
08-07-2008, 3:48 PM
You do seriously awesome work Miss. We are impressed. :D:D:D
That Pod pen is a show stopper.
Bob

Maria Alvarado
08-07-2008, 7:51 PM
Thanks again for the warm welcome. As I said, I have learned much from all of you, even if you didn't know it! This is a great forum even for us beginners. Looking forward to learning lots more, and maybe piping up a little more often:rolleyes:

Josh Holden
09-09-2008, 9:00 PM
Wow.

You're making it real hard on us other lurkers who are -- that is thought we were -- ready to come out :o:o:o. I'll have to start with pictures of my new lathe and wait until the awe subsides before posting my work. ;)

You have some truly inspiring pieces there!

Josh

Maria Alvarado
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Josh,
Welcome and thanks for the kind words. In fact, my first piece when I go my lathe was a natural edge funnel. Or as my sister put it, a shot glass for a teetotaler, so no need to be intimidated. Please jump on in. I've found this a very encouraging place for a novice like me, with plenty of experts willing to give good advice. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your lathe and your work!

Keith Outten
09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Maria,

Sorry but our Terms of Service require that you use your real first and last names for your user name here. This isn't a rule that is flexible, at least not yet.

Should everyone here prefer to start allowing handles we can change our policy, of course it won't take long before we are full of Fred Flintstones and woodbutchers as user names.

Contact me via Private Message so we can discuss your options.

Thanks,
Keith