PDA

View Full Version : Shaper spindle bore--help quick!

Mark Rakestraw
08-07-2008, 5:24 AM
Hello folks. I ordered the Powermatic shaper model 1270113 from Amazon at what seems to be half price, just under $1400. It comes with a "1" solid spindle" however, and I'm thinking "solid" means there is no way to use other sized spindles on the machine. All the shaper cutters I find at my usual bit haunts are 3/4" or 1 1/4" bore. Am I going to limit myself too much by this? I'm assuming there are bushings to adapt 1 1/4" bore bits down to 1", is that correct???? It still seems it's going to limit my ability to get cutters on sale and what not but eliminating the more common 3/4" bore. It hasn't shipped yet so I still have time to cancel if it turns out not to be such a great deal after all. I suppose I should have checked this out more thoroughly before ordering, but you know how the Amazon deals are--order now or it's gone.

Your quick responses, while I still have time to cancel, are greatly appreciated.
Mark

Mike Heidrick
08-07-2008, 5:48 AM
You are fine Mark. If fact you just stole a shaper! Solid spindle means solid steel. It is removable and interchangeable.

From the Manufacturer
Model 27 spindle shaper is a rugged,dependable, multi-purpose tool constructed to accommodate two interchangeable spindles and optional 3/4 inch, 1 inch and 1-1/4 inch solid spindle for extra heavy duty work. This shaper is also equipped with the new Accu-Fence. Made in the USA

Do you have a phase converter in your shop already????

Chris Rosenberger
08-07-2008, 6:16 AM
Check Ebay. Someone there has been selling the 1 1/4" spindle & the 1/2" - 3/4" intechangable spindles at very good prices.

Mark Rakestraw
08-07-2008, 7:05 AM
Thanks for the information guys, I'll keep the order. I saw the quote about interchangable spindles on the Powermatic website. My worries stemmed from that quote being for a new model and mine being a close-out model -- made me wonder if that was one of the "new features". I don't have a phase converter yet, but figured that cost into my decision to buy, thinking it would also serve other machines when the occasional good deal appears on used three-phase equipment. The expense of the phase converter AND the prospect of more expensive tooling was making this seem like less of a "steal".

Jeff Duncan
08-07-2008, 8:40 AM
I bought the 3ph 5hp model 27 last year when it was running at that price, the next day it went back up to $3000. IOW don't cancel your order! I believe they are just slowly trying to unload the older models as they are no longer being made.
As the other guys said you can get replacement spindles for that machine and it's pretty easy to swap them out. I will say when I bought my spindle Powermatic was cheaper than the E-bay guys, so check before you buy.
Lastly for the time being you can use spacers for the 1-1/4" cutters. I don't know what kind of work your going to be doing, but if you have a business you'll want to go with the bigger 1-1/4" cutters. Better to start out with them than start replacing them later as many of us have learned the hard way:(
good luck,
JeffD

Brad Shipton
08-07-2008, 12:01 PM
There is another option. My felder version is a 1" diameter spindle and they make a shim set for 30mm or 1 1/4" diameter. It is unlikely these would suite your machine because the tolerances may differ. For some reason the spacer is made segmental on my machine like the hold down spacers, but I am yet to use the shaper without all of the shims in place. Since they fit very tight the segmental shims can be a bit of a nuisance as they tend to want to slide out if you do not set the cutter in perfectly during setup. I would go to a machinist and have him make a single shim. Explain to him what you are doing, and he will know the proper specs. If not, you may need to chat with some of the experts on the Woodweb to get the specs.

I agree with Jeff, use 1 1/4" cutters. You can have them bushed down to 3/4" or 1" quite easily (done that before), but rarely can you bore a 3/4" to 1 1/4" due to the designs. I too learned this the hard way when I changed from a little 3/4" spindle shaper to 1 1/4". The other advantage is that it is easier to sell a 1 1/4" diameter should the need ever arise.

Brad