PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Maple/Walnut Dovetailed Box

Jason Tuinstra
08-07-2008, 2:59 AM
I made this box as a way to practice my dovetails. This is the third iteration of this box and is probably the nicest of the three I've built. The hinges have evolved since round one and I really like how these turned out. I didn't put any dividers in it at this point. Right now I've just been throwing my watches in it. We'll see how long this one hangs around. They make for a nice gift in a pinch ;) Anyway, fun, quick project.

Regards,

Jason

Glenn Clabo
08-07-2008, 4:42 AM
Jason...Where have you been? I always look forward to your work...and this is an example of why. Nice!

John Keeton
08-07-2008, 5:33 AM
IMO walnut and curly maple were created by God to be together - a marriage born in heaven! This box exhibits that very well - great design and balance. Good Job!!!

The next big project that I want to tackle will be a desk/hutch from walnut and curly maple. Everytime I see another project with that combination I get fired up. Thanks for the gentle push.

Jim Becker
08-07-2008, 8:17 AM
Another wonderful piece from the vicar's shop! Beautiful.

Brian W Evans
08-07-2008, 8:47 AM
Jason,

Congratulations on some beautiful work. I checked out your site as well and it is a real inspiration to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark Valsi
08-07-2008, 9:05 AM
Jason,

What a great box !!

Those dovetails ARE SPECTACULAR !!! Something I can only dream of !

Keep up the great work and post more pics !!

gary Zimmel
08-07-2008, 9:27 AM
Jason

Sweet looking dovetails...

Dewey Torres
08-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I like the hinge. Nice touch.:)

Frank Snyder
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Impressive dovetail joinery! Are those hinges your own design? I like how they act as the lid/hinge stops as well. Very clever!

Jason Tuinstra
08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Impressive dovetail joinery! Are those hinges your own design? I like how they act as the lid/hinge stops as well. Very clever!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Frank, the hinges are my own design and they've kind of evolved from the first box I built. I didn't want to buy hinges (cheap Dutchman!) so I came up with this. Anyway, I ended up figuring out how to utilize the pins to serve as a stop for the top as well. I guess this was another cheap thing. But more than this, I didn't think a chain or something of the like would look good.

Jerry Olexa
08-07-2008, 9:52 PM
More superb work from the master...Nice, Jason. Indiana misses you:)

Bill Wyko
08-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Jason, you've done a wonderful job on this project. Very creative hinges and fantastic Dovetails. I'm finishing a Humidor myself right now. I'll be posting it soon.

Ryan Sparreboom
08-09-2008, 3:05 AM
Awesome looking box Jason. A real inspiration.
Any chance of a pic from the rear with the lid open, I'm trying to figure out exactly how those hinges work?

Don Eddard
08-09-2008, 5:26 AM
Keep practicing those dovetails, and someday you'll get them right, LOL.

Beautiful work. The wood is superb, and the craftsmanship surpasses it.

Jason Tuinstra
08-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey, thanks again for all the comments. You guys are a real encouragement.

Ryan: I quick snapped some shots of the hinge to help you out a bit. Just some quick details on how I do this: I used a square piece of walnut and drove it partly through a doweling jig to get part of it round. I then backed it out and smoothed out the transition between round and square. The square end fits in the hinge, and the round end fits in the lid. I leave just enough of the square end so that I can sand a concave end that will allow the lid to open up just far enough to stay open but not too long as to look unsightly. I promised on my previous box to do a little pictorial but I never came through. Argh! Sorry 'bout that. Maybe now that my son's been helping out, he can be the photo journalist on this one :p Anyway, hope these pics help.

Jason

glenn bradley
08-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Very nice. I too like the hinges . . . oh, I just noticed the close up shots. Very cool.