PDA

View Full Version : Esteel #4

Ron Petley
08-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I bought a Esteel#4 with a corigated sole, it does not look like a top drawer item, the blade is a thin as paper, but the price was right. It is a small looking plane for a #4 , which is what I wanted.
I did a search but nothing came up anybody familiar with this brand?
Cheers Ron.

Mike Brady
08-08-2008, 6:42 PM
This plane may be extremely valuable by virtue of its absolute obscurity.:D

lowell holmes
08-08-2008, 7:54 PM
I have a #3 Bailey that fits that notch. :-)

Ganthan Rhodes
08-10-2008, 7:57 PM
Ron.

I'm wondering if what you have is an Este plane made in Germany. I see them locally from time-to-time and bought a #5 a while back.

They have a knob and tote that is ususlly painted a rather unattractive reddish color. Also, the lever cap has a red-colored screw at the top to apply tension the blade.

It's the only plane I can think of that might be close.

GR

James Mittlefehldt
08-11-2008, 5:47 AM
Ron.

I'm wondering if what you have is an Este plane made in Germany. I see them locally from time-to-time and bought a #5 a while back.

They have a knob and tote that is ususlly painted a rather unattractive reddish color. Also, the lever cap has a red-colored screw at the top to apply tension the blade.

It's the only plane I can think of that might be close.

GR

I have a no 4 of those laying about sonewhere but as I recall the blade was thicker than a stanley but would have to check.

Russell Schmieder
12-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Esteel is a brand from the company Eskilstunasteel, formerly located in Torshälla, Sweden not far from Eskilstuna. Esteel planes were made in the 1950s and are fairly common in Sweden today. The ones I have are just ok, not a good as an old Stanley. The paint is a bit sloppy, screw holes a bit loose, lever cap doesn't press well, that type of stuff. Some lack a frog adjusting screw.

Kim Malmberg
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
As Russell points out, Esteel was a Swedish made plane and lower quality brand. What I don't know is if Eskilstunasteel or Eskilstuna steel was a company or not. My understanding is that this was used very much in the same way as the Britons endorsed Shefield or the Britons and Americans used Warranted Superior as a label of quality.
Other Swedish plane makers include Anchor (as made by Jernbolaget), Bahco (very briefly), Aco, Memo, Handy and Hellstedt. Most of these brands were made for brief periods and some of them could have been made for international marketing where a Swedish company name would have been difficult to spell.