PDA

View Full Version : Can't forget what you want to & remember what you need to week

mark page
08-06-2008, 9:49 PM
Jeez what a week from hell. Starts out like this: Invoice printer takes a dump at work, prints fine, just formatted wrong. Since it's all corporate controlled, have to call the IT help desk. Well, after a week of receiving two different printers, the same problem existed. (I knew this would happen--the printer is fine, just a format problem). I don't have IT access so I can't fix the issue at hand. Found out that out of 3500 store locations nationwide, mine was the only one that was prematurely updated to a new laser setup that has yet to be rolled out. Ok, killed a week here for nothing. Then lumped 18k lbs of coolant miss drop shipped to another facility in 110 degree heat index heat (lower back killing me and imagine cardboard box road rash all over my arms) which killed a complete day and 16 man hours at work. Also coordinating a bodyshop appt for one of the company vehicles (which happens to be my daily driver) for a mishap that occurred during a delivery by one of my employees. Trying to get everything pre-set at home in prep for an upcoming out of state company mandated management furthering-education two week course. Kids will be just starting school and wrong time for me to be absent from home. Had at least an hour long conferance call tonight after hours, so at least a 13 hour day today at work. Plus just all the mgmt headaches that occur during a normal work week. Then a call today from the ex that my daughter who is barely still a minor is in jail for two counts of " a minor in possession of alcohol". Two charges a week apart. Of course dad's the last to know of any situation. Call it "tough love" or what, I decided I'm not bailing her out till the lesson is learned, which may be a while. This is just some of the things I need to forget.
What I forgot to remember is that:
TODAY IS MY ___ WEDDING ANNIVERSARY:(:(:(:(:(
I feel like a heel, and LOML is laughing it off, but I feel the damage is done. And damned if it didn't even land on trash night & I remembered that.:o
I did have one laugh this week. Thanks Doc, for making me laugh from your laughing reply to my reply to a post. Although from where the posting topics ended up, we all knew that one would be short lived. Again, thanks Doc.
Now gotta go back to feeling like a heel and suck it up.

Chuck Saunders
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Mark, you can sleep in my shop for a couple of days if you need to.

Jim Becker
08-07-2008, 8:05 AM
Some days you bite the bear. Some days the bear bites you. Trust me, I'm having an "interesting" week, too...

Belinda Barfield
08-07-2008, 8:33 AM
Man, Mark, you are having one rough week. It sounds like your wife is very understanding, lucky you. Surprise her next month on the same date with a "Happy __ Years and a Month Anniversary", and do whatever you normally do for your anniversary - plus maybe a little more. She'll appreciate the effort, and you'll feel less like a heel.

Bonnie Campbell
08-07-2008, 8:47 AM
Look at it this way, an anniversary comes every year, but a "just because I love you" are delightful surprises ;) So just start planning something special 'just because'.

mark page
08-07-2008, 8:08 PM
I, with a little luck, may just be able to pull this one off. Will definately be a "cash cow" as I can't do the deed with a check or credit card. She has access to all banking account information and can find out posting dates. I work close to the Plaza area, so, possibly a five star hotel, body massage, reservations at a five star feedbag, skip the beauty make-over as she will think I think she needs it:eek:, flowers, and all the pizazz. Maybe I can con her into thinking that I meant to "accidentally" forget on purpose. Ladies help bail me out here, think it will work? I can stay cool under pressure if it's a life or death matter. Now just got to pool all that "rat-hole" money together I got stashed for those "look honey, I got a good deal on this" type things that she can't track down. (I don't carry a lot of cash on me, so I can sometimes eek these things by her without her knowing:p). I'm open for any other advice too.

Chris Kennedy
08-08-2008, 5:51 AM
Mark,

I forgot the anniversary one year under similar circumstances (life at work hectic, father in the hospital, et cetera). I managed to realize a little late in the day. I sent her flowers the next day with a note saying that sending flowers on the actual anniversary is a little predictable and that we haven't been married long enough to be predictable.

She bought it.

Good luck (and I have a guest bedroom if you need it).

Cheers,

Chris

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2008, 7:05 AM
Maybe I can con her into thinking that I meant to "accidentally" forget on purpose. Ladies help bail me out here, think it will work? I can stay cool under pressure if it's a life or death matter.

I don't know . . . the idea is good in theory, but almost all men (and women for that matter) have little tells when they are attempting to skirt the truth. I'll bet she knows yours. However, it sounds as if she is pretty understanding so maybe she'll just let you slide on the "white lie" and appreciate the effort. That's the route I'd go anyway. Sounds like your best plan so far. Good Luck! Let us know how it works out.

Al Willits
08-08-2008, 9:24 AM
Accidentally on purpose??

Nope, they know, trust me they know.

Those that are lucky get to think it works, those that aren't get to pay the penalty for forgetting, which usually works out to 6-10 times the cost of a acceptable gift that would have been on time...

You can try the "I've been so busy trying to make your life better I forgot" they know better on this one too, but it sounds good enough they may let ya get by with it....:D

Al

mark page
08-08-2008, 6:24 PM
Nope, it's not going to work this time. Am now "down in the back" from moving all that 18k lbs of coolant. Just got done visiting my quackapractor getting a major overhaul performed. Will be nothing but ice packs and rest this weekend, except for the normal workday tomorrow. Also no "Tender Vittles or Little Friskies" for me, I'll just have to settle for "canned cat food" if ya know what I mean, lol:(