PDA

View Full Version : Chery HF with carved feet

Bill Bolen
08-06-2008, 9:08 PM
This little cherry hf stands 6 ½”X4”. Finished with 4 coats of poly. This is from a piece of cherry branch wood. The dark streak seems to be from a vine that had become ingrown on that side. I wanted the curve of the side to flow to and through the bottom giving the bottom a round shape with the 4 feet just growing out of the form. The mouth is meant to emulate an old time milk bottle. Can you remember when milk came in a bottle with the cream floating on top? Guess I’m giving my age away!? This HF stuff is addicting! I think I have finally grasped the concept of using a laser on the articulated arm. Well, I didn’t go through this one so I must be learning! Thanks for looking,,comments critiques always welcome..Bill..

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2008, 9:39 PM
Bill,

Do you mean the ones with the paper caps that plugged the bottle top? Nope. I don't remember them....:rolleyes: I helped deliver a few when I was in grade school. A friends parents owned a dairy and had a little stepvan to deliver milk around town. Oops..I guess maybe I gave away my age.:D

I like your HF. Unique and intriguing form and the wood and finish are great! Nicely done Bill!

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2008, 9:59 PM
Great looking HF Bill. I like the carved feet. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Bill, interesting form! Love the cherry and all of it's charactor! Although I'm not old like those other guys - I do remember bottled milk with foil caps and thinking the cream was the best part!

Using the lazer takes some getting used to. You have to know where the cutting tip is with regards to the outside surface of the form. Make sure you adjust the lazer so the light is perpendicular to the form as you are cutting. That means constant readjustments as you create different curves. If not kept perpendicular - the distance between the lazer and cutting tool will not be accurate. That's when surprises happen!

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work!

Ben Gastfriend
08-07-2008, 3:48 PM
Looks great! Believe it or not, my cousins who live outside of Pittsburgh still get milk delivery!