PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass Router table top

Brian Loucks
08-06-2008, 7:11 PM
I just salvaged a 36" x 36" x 1/2 " brand new piece of Cell-Cast acrylic, (I would call it plexiglass) from a store remodel. Since I already have a very decent router table I was thinking about using this piece for a portable router table attached to my RIDGID 3650 Table saw. My question is, will it work? I would only be using it for occasional short runs of small stock.
Thanks,
Brian

Chris Kennedy
08-06-2008, 7:23 PM
My first reaction, based on absolutely no experience whatsoever, is no. At a 1/2" thick, it may be thick enough, but my worry would be that once you attach the router, you are working on borrowed time before the screws holding the router start to propagate cracks.

I tried to make a coping sled using 1/4" plexiglass (because I had it hanging around in the shop), and I had this problem from the outset. With the extra thickness, it may not happen immediately, but I could see it happening.

Of course, I'm guessing.

Cheers,

Chris

Barry Vabeach
08-06-2008, 8:15 PM
Brian, I don't know, but would guess that 36 x 36 is far too big to support any decent sized router. I used 1/2 plexiglass to make mounting plates for a small router and a larger router ( Dewalt 2 hp) and both are doing fine, but I made the actual router table top out of mdf, and then cut out an 8 x 12 section and mounted the plexiglass in that section. If you engineered support for the top so that the biggest unsupported area is in the neighborhood of 8 x 12, that might work.

Brian Loucks
08-06-2008, 8:38 PM
The actual table size will be more like 15" x 36". I figure if it sags I can reinforce it with some aluminum angle iron. After thinking about it a bit, I just have visions of my router vibrating off and crashing to the floor.

Barry Vabeach
08-06-2008, 9:28 PM
Brian, there is no danger of vibration if you use a screw to hold it in place. I have attached 2 photos, the wooden "shoe" to the left holds one end of the router in place until I insert the screw into the base of the router. The second picture shows what it looks like when the router isn't mounted. I made a similar version that fits on my table saw rails. The empty screw hole that you see when the router is removed is where I insert the screw directly into the router through the plexiglass.http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/barryvabeach/IMG_0020Small.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/barryvabeach/IMG_0021Small.jpg

jerry nazard
08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Brian,

I would set the piece of plexi on a couple of 1X or 2X pieces of stock and then set the router on top. See how much it flexes, and go from there. I use lots of plexiglass for jigs and templates, and have also made several router base plates. Great stuff.

-Jerry

Brian Loucks
08-07-2008, 3:41 AM
Thanks for the resonses.
Barry, thanks for the pictures. Now I'm thinking about 2 table mounts, 1 for a norml size router and 1 for a laminate trimmer. I mske a lot of small parts for toy trucks and such. Might come in handy.
Thanks again.
Brian

Wayne Cannon
08-07-2008, 4:50 AM
Brian, 1/2" Plexiglas will sag after a while with even a fairly small router in just an insert plate, much less a full table top. If you use it, plan on some rigid support (e.g., angle iron) very close to the router.

Jim Becker
08-07-2008, 9:06 AM
Brian, the material is likely very usable, but you'll still want intermediate support under it (even though it would show) to insure it doesn't sag.

Mike Keers
08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
...to a table as large as you propose, but I found a four-foot square chunk of 1/2" clear stuff about twenty years ago at the dump, I don't think it's Plexi as it has a kind of waxy feel, perhaps it's polycarbonate, it's 'softer' machining than plexi. I've used polycarbonate before (Lexan) and it may be that, so my comments may be irrelevant.

I've made half a dozen 12x12 base plates for my router table, and also accessory bases for freehand routing. Never a problem, and in spite of what was said above, I had a PC 690 hanging there 24/7 for fifteen years--no sag. I now have a much heavier Makita 3612 3-1/4" hp hanging there full time for five years or so, no sag. But my solid 2" thick MDF top has sagged about 1/4" over four feet from the weight!

But as noted my stuff is probably Lexan, which is quite different than Plexi, so... I probably offered no help at all. :rolleyes:

Brian Loucks
08-07-2008, 9:51 PM
Thanks to everyone.
I'm going to give it a shot, I just hate the thought of waisting a beautiful piece of plexiglas if it warps or cracks.... not that it cost me anything or that I have an alternate use for it.
I'll pass on the results of my test.
Thanks,
Brian