PDA

View Full Version : Straight and Level?

Scott Shepherd
08-06-2008, 6:37 PM
We installed a set of letters on a wall the other day (the one the pounce pattern was for), and we made an acrylic template, all linked together like a jigsaw puzzle so we knew it would all be in relation. Measured from the ceiling down to put the template up, taped it up there, stood back and said "It looks crooked".

Measured it again. Dead on from end to end. Stepped back, looked again. Crooked.

What's going on here? Pulled a measurement from the floor. Uh oh. 1 1/2" off over 6'. Crud. Now what? We thought about it a minute and decided that the receptionist desk would be sitting in front of it when they moved in, and that would create a visual line, parallel with the floor. We thought that was the right thing to do, visually.

Was that the right thing to do? Just curious. All I could think about is if we did it any other way, then visually when you walked in the door, the letters would not be parallel with the top of the receptionist desk, which would get us blamed for putting up crooked letters for sure!

Keith Outten
08-06-2008, 7:51 PM
Scott,

I always hang my signs and letters level. I can't possibly be blamed for building features that are incorrect so I take the safe route unless the customer directs me to follow the ceiling line or some other architectural element.

Joe Pelonio
08-06-2008, 9:05 PM
I agree with Keith, I never measure off of a floor or ceiling but just use a level. Now where you get into real trouble is lettering a van, where neither the top nor bottom line of the side panel is straight.

glenn bradley
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Scott,

I always hang my signs and letters level. I can't possibly be blamed for building features that are incorrect so I take the safe route unless the customer directs me to follow the ceiling line or some other architectural element.

I take the opposite approach (if the furnishings are in), I hang it so it "looks" right to the client. And yes, it REALLY bugs me that I KNOW it is not level ;-)

Brian Stoddard
08-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Start with a level but you need to make sure it is in line with the closest parallel object - such as a desk or the ceiling usually. Its not uncommon to have a drop down ceiling thats not level and hanging your sign level under it makes you look bad even if your right.

Doug Bergstrom
08-12-2008, 4:51 PM
We do a lot of store interiors and there is never a level ceiling or floor. Depending on the where on the wall it is going the sign or letters need to be visually straight. This may not match "level" but will make the client happier.