PDA

View Full Version : New one on me

Joe Pelonio
08-06-2008, 3:19 PM
I have to quote an upcoming job that should be fun, but am looking for suggestions to make it easier.

There's a sculpture that was installed on a hill, on a hiking trail about 1/2 mile from where a vehicle can get to.

We're going to install a stainless steel plaque, so I have to pour a small concrete slab to mount it on, with rebar pounded into the ground and so on.

I'll have to carry in 2-3 sacks of concrete, enough water to mix it, forms, rebar, some finishing tools, and of course the plaque. Since my wheelbarrow
is dead, (the welded-on valve stem rusted through so no way to fill the tire) I can get a new wheel, but it may make more sense at this point to buy something that would be easier to handle on this job.

Can those 4 wheel carts with big bicycle style wheels handle the weight? Would it be easier on my back going that far? My other thought was a hand truck with a large box strapped onto it.

One of these would be great but too much money for one job, I doubt I'd need it much again.
http://images.netshops.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:NT040.jpg&h=300&w=300

Scott Shepherd
08-06-2008, 3:43 PM
Yup, been there, done that :( Not much fun. Had to take 4 bags of concrete through pure woods to access a location, plus the water, etc.

I just strapped everything I could to a hand truck that had rubber tires and dragged it behind me. I could get a fair amount strapped to it, with concrete on the bottom. You could drag it over things, since everything was strapped in (with proper straps, not bungee). Pain in ......well....you already know where the pain is ;)

James Stokes
08-06-2008, 4:58 PM
Joe, Do you have a riding lawn mower? That would be the way to do it.

Joe Pelonio
08-06-2008, 5:43 PM
Joe, Do you have a riding lawn mower? That would be the way to do it.
You are right, but no. My parents have one with a trailer and that would be perfect but they are 3 hours in a different direction, and this is a 2 hour drive already.

My lawns are not quite big enough to justify a riding mower, takes only about 1/2 hour the hard way.

Kevin L. Waldron
08-08-2008, 4:18 PM
Joe,

What about local 4 wheeler club or horse or mule riding club. Most of those guys/gals love to show off what they can or can't do. Many even have carts or pull behines. All you need do is encourage there ego's.

There is also a muck buggie being advertised in many construction magazines that might be available for rental from a local rental company.

Kevin

eric auer
08-08-2008, 4:32 PM
Look up "Ursa wagons" on amazon, they are excellent.

Eric

James Jaragosky
08-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Rent some Boy Scouts. I hear that they can carry alot.
No really my company use to make a donation to the local pack and they would do odd jobs, like police the grounds and such. anyhow its a thought.

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I love that ursa wagon, but it would take up most of my profit on the job!

Some day I have to have one, though, when we move and have a bigger lot.

As for the Boy Scouts, they will be back in school by the time I do the installation, but I do have a former one (son) who might be available to help if I schedule it on a day he's not working.

Peter Meacham
08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Joe,

Those Ursa folks are on drugs - price wise - how about the Gorilla Cart from Amazon for $69.95 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-600-Pound-Capacity-Outdoor-GOR200B-T/dp/B000I2Z5C8/ref=pd_cp_hi_0?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LPMOSK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KGF1PYTYEJ46FFY4SHA

Joe Pelonio
08-11-2008, 5:23 PM
Joe,

Those Ursa folks are on drugs - price wise - how about the Gorilla Cart from Amazon for $69.95 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-600-Pound-Capacity-Outdoor-GOR200B-T/dp/B000I2Z5C8/ref=pd_cp_hi_0?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LPMOSK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KGF1PYTYEJ46FFY4SHA

Much better, thanks Peter.

Doug Bergstrom
08-12-2008, 4:32 PM
I have a green wagon like the red one you pictured. Works great and hauls a lot. I think I got ours at Costco or Sams one of those place and it wasn't very expensive. I find that yellow Diesel cans work great for hauling water to our Job sites. We have 2- 5 gall cans which is perfect for two holes and clean up. And since they are yellow I do not accidently put them in our mower!!!

Joe Pelonio
08-13-2008, 6:22 PM
Thanks for everyone's help on this, but it looks like it's not going down as planned. After they received the quote for the engraved/paint filled stainless steel plaque and my installation with a concrete pad, they decided that their budget was insufficient - by a lot - so it looks like it's going to be a laser engraved 12" granite tile and they will install it themselves, so my price just went down about 90%. Don't you hate it when that happens? :mad:

James Jaragosky
08-13-2008, 9:35 PM
Everyone wants the steak, on a PBJ budget.

Joe Pelonio
08-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Everyone wants the steak, on a PBJ budget.
Yes, and I ran into two more of those later today. One guy wants a discount for two banners. Both are different.

Another asked for stainless steel posts, but after hearing the price will be getting painted aluminum.