PDA

View Full Version : cherry plywood question

Mike McCann
08-06-2008, 9:47 AM
Does cherry plywood darken at the same rate as regular cherry? I am building an entertainment center with plywood and cherry face frame.

thanks

Jim Becker
08-06-2008, 9:52 AM
Theoretically, yes, but it's all about the wood used. Boards from two different trees will look different and that also applies to veneer logs used for sheet goods. In my experience, cherry veneer ply darkens more slowly than solids, but frankly, I don't worry about it. Slight variations are just a part of using a natural product. Since I use BLO as my first finishing step with cherry, it tends to help even things out until oxidation and UV catches up.

Frank Drew
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Maybe because the face veneer is so thin, I think I've observed that the absorbtion rate of either stain or oil might be faster with ply vs. solid, leaving it darker, but that's just my impression

Howard Acheson
08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
As Jim has said, it depends. Cherry is a wood that is very variable naturally. Cherry from one tree is frequently different from another tree in the same forest. Another variable is the way it is cut. If the solid wood is flat sawn and the plywood is rotary cut, the difference in face appearence will be different.

When combining solid wood with plywood, I buy the plywood first and then try to match the hardwood as closely to the plywood as I can.

It's also a good idea to try out your finish plans before you start the build. See if there is going to be a problem.

Gary Benson
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
As others have stated, it is variable. But, so far the plywood I have used has actually darkened faster and more than the solid wood used in the same project. It all looks good after a while, however. I tend to only use topcoat, no stain to even attempt to blend the colors.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-06-2008, 1:04 PM
A couple of my old projects that are 20 years now old have both cherry plywood and solid cherry. The darkening between them appears similar.

-Jeff :)

Mike McCann
08-06-2008, 1:13 PM
Guys

thanks for the responses. I am going to finish with blo and the a water based poly. I will do test pieces and post the project when done.

Russ Hauser
08-06-2008, 2:02 PM
I've made and sold hundreds of cherry Shaker Oval Boxes over the years. They have sides of steam bent cherry veneer, and tops and bottoms of soild quarter sawn cherry on the smaller sizes, with shop made cherry plywood tops and bottoms on the larger sizes. Some of the boxes date back to 1990, and I see no difference in the way the different types of materials have darkened. Also, IMOO I say staining cherry is sacrilege.

Russ