PDA

View Full Version : Is Variable Speed a "MUST HAVE" For a Drill Press

Mike Shields
08-06-2008, 9:12 AM
Lot's of posts regarding drill presses, and specifically the Steel City.

Does anyone find that a variable speed DP is a "must have" option?

Maybe I'm looking into this too much, but with the different size bits we can use for woodworking, speed changing is a must. Do you mind moving the belt from pulley to pulley? I've found that my current DP (crapsman) the loose belt (to allow for changes) adds vibration and slop to the operation.

If a VS is a must have, this can drastically limit the purchasing options!
And the SC is not VS.

Jason Whelehon
08-06-2008, 9:16 AM
Variable speed is something you can't live without if you've had it. With a lathe I feel it's a must have. On a DP I think it'd be rare to change speeds so frequently that you'd benefit from the variable speed enough to justify the increase in cost.

Just my $1/50

Peter Quadarella
08-06-2008, 9:17 AM
I don't mind moving the belt. It would be nice to just spin a dial, but I don't find it difficult or time consuming to change the belt, you just unlock, untension, move belt, retension, re-lock. Takes about a minute.

Peter Quadarella
08-06-2008, 9:18 AM
What Jason said is true also. If I had to change it constantly, maybe it could be a pain, but I only change the speed occasionally on the DP.

Stan Urbas
08-06-2008, 9:58 AM
Depends on how much you use the DP and for what. When I use large Forstner bits I have to slow the speed way down, so I end up changing speeds quite a bit. For edge cutting (like a router) you want a very high speed. If you put on a sanding drum you'd want slow for hardwoods or fine sandpaper, faster for course, etc.

So if yo plan on using the DP fairly intensely, I'd say it's a must., But for occasional use, probably not.

Jesse Cloud
08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't have variable speed, but I wish I did. Though I have to say its not one of my top 5 priorities.

Maybe this would be a helpful question: Does changing the belts bug you so much that sometimes you skip changing the speed? If so, you might think hard about VS....

Rob Russell
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Changing the belts works for me. VS would be nice, but I'd probably only go for that if it were one of the older Rockwell or Powermatic DPs because of the quality in those older units.

Jason Whelehon
08-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I'd trade variable speed for quill travel, low runout, and motor quality/power any day.

Those are qualities you can't do manually like changing speeds. And if we were all honest here... Variable speed is NOT a necessity, it's a luxury and we want it because it's 10% cooler than not having VS.

However, that's the best part of woodworking! My dad calls it "2 foot-itis" When you buy a 16' boat, you NEED an 18' boat. Then you need a 20' boat and a larger SUV... so on and so forth.

Frank Drew
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't consider it at all a must have on a drill press, at least for the typical cabinet or furniture shop, but I completely agree with Jason how nice it is on a lathe, and a feature I'd consider a must have, or very close to that. Ditto reversing (that is a must-have feature, IMO.)

Mike Shields
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd trade variable speed for quill travel, low runout, and motor quality/power any day.

Those are qualities you can't do manually like changing speeds. And if we were all honest here... Variable speed is NOT a necessity, it's a luxury and we want it because it's 10% cooler than not having VS.

However, that's the best part of woodworking! My dad calls it "2 foot-itis" When you buy a 16' boat, you NEED an 18' boat. Then you need a 20' boat and a larger SUV... so on and so forth.

Great reply!!

Tom Veatch
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
...Does anyone find that a variable speed DP is a "must have" option?...

Don't have it. Wish I did. Can live without it.

But, given the choice, I'd opt for a DRO on the quill travel/drill depth before variable speed. Was sorry to see the Delta 20-959LX fail to reach market. Wonder if any of the other DROs on the market could be adapted to a DP.

Clifford Mescher
08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't have variable speed change but if I get another drill press it WILL have variable speed. Not a priority but if someone wants to trade their variable speed to me for my belt changing drill press, I'm all ears.Clifford

Steve Clardy
08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I just change the belt on the pulleys, and that's very seldom.

All depends on what you do with it I guess.

I see no need for one in a woodshop

Mike Shields
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
...Was sorry to see the Delta 20-959LX fail to reach market. Wonder if any of the other DROs on the market could be adapted to a DP.

Isn't this the 959 minus the digital add-ons:

http://www.toolking.com/Delta_20-950.aspx

Dave Lehnert
08-06-2008, 1:01 PM
I use a Shopsmith that has variable speed. I also have a standard drill press to do metal.The variable speed is great! May want to find an old shopsmith. They can be had used for little money. You could also use it as a sander etc..

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/index.htm

John Gregory
08-06-2008, 2:03 PM
Belts or dial, I think you need it. You need a different speed for a 2" forstner bit compared to a 1/8" twist bit. A small bit at a slow speed with give tear out. And a large forstner at a high speed would be dangerous and the heat may damage the bit. IMHO

David Cramer
08-06-2008, 2:15 PM
I totally agree with John. Well put. Variable speed drill presses "do" have their place. I guess it just depends on what you're doing.

David

Rod Sheridan
08-06-2008, 2:16 PM
Mike, absolutely, variable speed is a must.

Just like I've been thinking I must replace my General saw and shaper with a Hammer B3 next year!

Variable speed is a nice convenience, if you need a speed that is between the speeds on a step type machine, however woodworking isn't that demanding of an application for a drill press.

Come to think about it, not much is very demanding of a drill press for woodworking.

Long quill travel is another nice feature, yet rarely used. How many times do you drill holes deeper than 3 inches?

Pick a good quality drill press, with a large square table and it will work great.

regards, Rod.

Chris Barnett
08-06-2008, 2:24 PM
OH...gee...I hope not....would mean I been doing it wrong for a long time now. Not even sure VS would be a plus for a DP. Now a lathe, that is a different story.....not that I've ever used one...but I have one :). Finally in the shop but still just sitting there. But now might have to spend my extra time pondering a VS DP. What will be next...VS TS or VS BS. Now don't go tellin' me they got those too! :D

In a DP, think repeated accuracy, adequate power and stroke are more critical. Next comes jigs and fixtures to hold the work secure and where you need it.

Come to think of it, have never even changed the belt position on my DP although I use it frequently.

Russ Hauser
08-06-2008, 3:11 PM
I have a Craftsman floor model number 113.24560 DP I picked up from an estate sale several years ago. It has 6" quill travel, and a veriable speed motor in addition to step pullies, and undetectable runnout. I wouldn't give up any of these features.

Russ

Tom Veatch
08-06-2008, 3:31 PM
Isn't this the 959 minus the digital add-ons:

There may be a few other design differences since I don't have/remember a point-by-point comparison between the two, but I believe that's basically correct. Take the 20-950 and add laser crosshair positioning along with quill speed and travel DROs and you effectively have the 20-959LX.

Peter Quinn
08-06-2008, 6:21 PM
I prefer variable speed to changing belts on any machine, but it rarely fits in my budget. DP, shaper, powerfeed, slot mortiser, even TS can be had in variable speed.

Is variable speed critical on the DP? Not really. Not for me at least.

Bruce Page
08-06-2008, 6:21 PM
I don’t have a drill press (sold it) but I have a variable head milling machine. I ran step-head Bridgeport mills for years before they came out with the variable heads. Variable heads, at least on a mill, are worth their weight in gold.

Alan Schaffter
08-06-2008, 7:05 PM
Variable speed (whether via belt changes, mechanical Reeves drive, or electronic) is essential. The right speed for the right drill bit for the right size hole in a variety of materials. Even in woodworking you need to drill the occasional piece of steel- slow speed is a must or you will ruin your bits.

Being lazy, I seldom changed speeds on my 16 speed Delta. My holes and bits suffered because of it. I converted the drill to electronic variable speed with a larger hp, three phase, Leeson motor and a VFD. As icing on the cake I added a remote start switch and speed knob and a digital tach with remote readout. Now it is easy to set the correct speed for the application by just dialing it in.

p.s. I also added laser cross hairs since the below pics were taken. I mounted the laser unit to the head unit instead of the column like with most after-market lasers. That way I can rotate the head (which I do regularly) and the cross hairs still are right on.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-6.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-7.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-8.JPG

glenn bradley
08-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I use link belts. They step up and down pretty easily. A bit more effort if they have to be reversed as in some cases on mine. Working with wood and using the DP primarily for larger bits, I leave the speed slow 95% of the time if not more.

Don Bullock
08-07-2008, 8:22 AM
I've never had a machine that I didn't have to move the belts on to change speeds. It's really no big deal, especially on a drill press. When I'm working with wood, like Glenn, I just leave my drill press on the slowest speed.

David G Baker
08-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I get by with the belt and pulley but once in a while I want a speed lower than 300 RPM, when I do I start thinking about a VS setup.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-07-2008, 1:49 PM
After I bought my Used, old school, machine shop Delta Rockwell drill press I refitted it with a DC reversible motor and a variable speed controller.

There was a reason: I needed a tapping machine and a drill press for a production operation and I was tight on $$.

However, since I swapped the drive out I have never thought to go back. It's been more than 20 years. It still uses the original pulleys that came with the machine ( and I use 'em) and it's still got that reversible variable speed controller.
I can't imagine having it any other way.

Eddie Darby
08-07-2008, 2:34 PM
Does anyone find that a variable speed DP is a "must have" option?

I find that the harder it is to do something, the less chance it is done.

If you have an easy speed change system, then you will change speeds more often, OTOH if it is hard, then usually one speed is where things stay at for most of the time. Sorta the 'leave good enough alone' approach to things kicks in.

David G Baker
08-07-2008, 2:39 PM
Cliff,
I have a reversible/variable speed DC motor with controller but the motor is only 1/3 HP so I don't think that the motor has the HP to run my DP in the manner which I want to use it.
Haven't thought about my DC motor and controller in years. It has been stored since 1982. I will have to get it out and see what the specs are.

Dave Lehnert
08-07-2008, 5:56 PM
What will be next...VS TS or VS BS. Now don't go tellin' me they got those too! :D

Yes they do. One of the major features of the Shopsmith that woodworkers overlook. I have a freestanding Jointer and a cabinet saw but turn to my Shopsmith often with difficult wood. A jointer with VS is like gold.

Glenn Howard
08-07-2008, 5:58 PM
Can someone clear something up for me? The original poster says that the Steel City DP does not have variable speed. The specs say that it has 16 speeds, adjustable by manually adjusting the belts.

Am I understanding the use of the term "variable speed" to mean some manner of speed adjustment other than manually adjusting belts? It seems misleading. To me, variable speed means that the speed can be varied. Am I to assume that with regard to drill presses, this thread is referring to a simpler method of varying the speed (dial, knob, etc) than manually adjusting belts?

Or are we talking about being able to vary the speed "on the fly" so to speak? In other words, varying the speed as the work piece is drilled instead of having the DP set to one speed at a time.:confused:

Peter Quadarella
08-07-2008, 6:28 PM
Hi Glenn, I think we're working with the OP's definition of variable speed, which is variable without having to move belts (e.g. with a dial instead). I agree, as long as you can vary the speed, it has variable speed.

Tom Veatch
08-07-2008, 6:28 PM
...Am I understanding the use of the term "variable speed" to mean some manner of speed adjustment other than manually adjusting belts? ...

That is correct.

"Variable Speed" (VS) is generally taken to mean continuously variable speeds within some min-max range. Speed control could either be mechanical or electronic, but the key is the continuous variability. At least that's how I read the ads/specs of those machines that claim to be VS. I'm speaking specifically of the current generation of Drill Presses. Some other machines, i.e. routers, may be termed variable speed but only offer a set of distinct speeds.

It's true that repositioning belts on step pulleys offers speed variations, but that's a stepped change and provides a finite number of specific speeds. A VS drill press with a range of speeds from 200 min to 2500 max could dial in any speed within that range instead of, say, 12 or 16 discreet speeds within the range. There may or may not be a Digital Read Out (DRO) that displays the current speed.

Shifting on the fly? I don't know.

Steve Sawyer
08-08-2008, 7:52 AM
I'm in the "Can't live without it" camp. It only takes burning up a couple of bits to learn that yes, you really do need to match the speed to the size of the bit and the stock. I also do a fair amount of metal work in making jigs, mobile bases and the like.

I adjust the speed almost every time I switch it on, unless I'm lucky enough for it to be already set close to the speed that I should use.

My hope is to eventually extend my 220v line, and find a good used 1HP 220 3-phase motor to bolt on. Then I'll use a VFD (Variable frequency drive) to do the phase conversion AND give me the speed control. It'll probably end up costing me as much as the drill press did (about $300) to do all this, but I'll be through messing with the darn belts.

Or if I can find one of those old Powermatic DP's that needs some restoration - the kind with the VS sheaves, I'd do that too.

Bottom line is that I think woodworkers need to be able to change speeds, and the easier that is the better.

Stan Urbas
08-08-2008, 8:12 AM
I do have a Shopsmith and I use it primarily as a drill press, although I've used it for other things as well. In addition to having a variable speed, you can flip it down and use it as a horizontal press, which is also extremely handy. The down side of the Shopsmith is that the motor really doesn't go as slow as I'd like for large Forstner bits. You can add a speed reducer, but that pretty klutzy.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2008, 8:33 AM
Cliff,
I have a reversible/variable speed DC motor with controller but the motor is only 1/3 HP so I don't think that the motor has the HP to run my DP in the manner which I want to use it.
Haven't thought about my DC motor and controller in years. It has been stored since 1982. I will have to get it out and see what the specs are.

You'll prolly need at least a whole horse. That 1/3 HP variable speed would make for a fine hand held carving grinder motor.

It would also make a superb slow speed tool sharpener motor.

Kevin Groenke
08-08-2008, 9:37 PM
Variable speed (whether via belt changes, mechanical Reeves drive, or electronic) is essential. The right speed for the right drill bit for the right size hole in a variety of materials. Even in woodworking you need to drill the occasional piece of steel- slow speed is a must or you will ruin your bits.

Being lazy, I seldom changed speeds on my 16 speed Delta. My holes and bits suffered because of it. I converted the drill to electronic variable speed with a larger hp, three phase, Leeson motor and a VFD. As icing on the cake I added a remote start switch and speed knob and a digital tach with remote readout. Now it is easy to set the correct speed for the application by just dialing it in.

p.s. I also added laser cross hairs since the below pics were taken. I mounted the laser unit to the head unit instead of the column like with most after-market lasers. That way I can rotate the head (which I do regularly) and the cross hairs still are right on.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-6.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-7.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-8.JPG

Allan,

That is a very nice piece of work!

It's great that you've been able to make yourself several of the improvements that the equipment manufacturers have manages to bring to the market at an appropriate price-point. If you're drill press were on the marketplace, it would be on the short list for me.

Especially nice integration of the DRO.

-kg

Charles Wiggins
08-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Mike,

As others have said, it all depends on what you're doing. If you're only going to shoot holes in wood with standard sized bits, you can get by without it. If you ever run any large Forstner bits or hole saws you'll want to be able to slow them down, especially going into hardwood.

And remember that a drill presses are generally used as a machining tool. If you think you might ever want to drill metal, especially steels, you NEED variable speed.

Clifford Mescher
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Mike,

As others have said, it all depends on what you're doing. If you're only going to shoot holes in wood with standard sized bits, you can get by without it. If you ever run any large Forstner bits or hole saws you'll want to be able to slow them down, especially going into hardwood.

And remember that a drill presses are generally used as a machining tool. If you think you might ever want to drill metal, especially steels, you NEED variable speed.
Why would you need a VS to drill metal? As long as you can change speeds by changing your belts, there is no difference.Clifford

Kevin Groenke
11-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I converted the drill to electronic variable speed with a larger hp, three phase, Leeson motor and a VFD. As icing on the cake I added a remote start switch and speed knob and a digital tach with remote readout. Now it is easy to set the correct speed for the application by just dialing it in.

Alan,

I am sick of waiting for the Delta or SC VSDP, cannot find the right deal on an old Clausing or PM, and like the t-slots and forward tilt of the Delta 17-950, so I'm thinking of duplicating your VFD drill press mod. I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

What's the hp of the motor you put in and is it enough? We'll occasionally be drilling up to 1" holes in 1/4" steel.

What is the RPM of the motor? Did you remove the idler pulley, or retain it for a wider speed range?

Are external pot and tach capabilities common to vfd's or particular to the one you used? Would you share your source for the VFD and motor?

How did you attach the lasers to the head rather than the column?

What is the little toggle switch on your control panel for? Lasers?

Why on earth can't manufacturers do this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

-kg

Josh Kandiko
11-13-2008, 1:39 PM
I would just buy a 3ph drill press and put a variable frequency drive in between the 220 and it. Bingo, variable speed at a fraction of the cost.

Larry Browning
11-13-2008, 1:59 PM
I use a Shopsmith that has variable speed. I also have a standard drill press to do metal.The variable speed is great! May want to find an old shopsmith. They can be had used for little money. You could also use it as a sander etc..

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/index.htm

I think a SS makes a great drill press. Another bonus is that it can be used as a horizonal boring machine as well. I have my fathers SS which was about the only WW tool I owned when I 1st started. I have slowly added tools like table saw, jointer, which the SS really sucks at, but it is a pretty good drill press, disk sander, and lathe. Parts are still readily available for it so no problem there. If you can get a good price on a used one, I think it might be a good option for you.

Tony Bilello
11-13-2008, 2:52 PM
Most important feature to me is.....
variable speed. The DP I have now is the first one I ever owned with Variable Speed. Right now it is the only DP I own and I use it for small bits and large bits as well as spade bits, forstner bits, router bits and drum sanding.
I would never own another belt/pulley driven DP again.
I wish it had a keyless chuck, my next one will.
I have a keyless drill chuck on my lathe and I love it.

Mike Henderson
11-13-2008, 3:09 PM
I'm with Tony. The problem with belts to change speed is that you don't do it - you try to make do with the speed it's set on. Same with the bandsaw. Unless it's way off, I try to make the cut with the blade that's on it rather than change the blade.

And I like the idea of a keyless chuck on the DP.

Mike

Kevin Groenke
11-13-2008, 3:23 PM
I would just buy a 3ph drill press and put a variable frequency drive in between the 220 and it. Bingo, variable speed at a fraction of the cost.

That's a great idea Josh, now I just need to find an affordable 3ph DP will all of the features I want/need: 6" stroke, rack and pinion table adjustment, 2 axis table tilt, fast/easy depth stop, idiot proof.

Any suggestions?

I figure I can do the Delta 17-950 for $400, VFD $100?, motor $100, controls/electrical $30 for a total of $650.

I may wait to have a look at the SC coming out, but I think the table tilts in only one axis. Am I right on that? I have my doubts that the SS would be robust enough for institutional use.

Thanks all,
-kg

Chris Padilla
11-13-2008, 3:57 PM
I'm with Tony. The problem with belts to change speed is that you don't do it - you try to make do with the speed it's set on. Same with the bandsaw. Unless it's way off, I try to make the cut with the blade that's on it rather than change the blade.

And I like the idea of a keyless chuck on the DP.

Mike

Yep...I can't recall the last time I changed the speed on my Delta DP. Dragging a stool over to open the top is too painful I guess. I guess I'm doing fine with everything I've drilled so far. I don't even remember what the speed setting is!! :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-13-2008, 4:14 PM
it's nice not necessary.

David Eppler
11-13-2008, 4:18 PM
I found that when I had to change the belts I often found myself saying "it is just one hole and I don't want to change the belt back again in 2 minutes" so everything got drilled at one speed. With the variable speed I find I use the appropriate speed much more often.

Changing the belts on my first lathe didn't take any longer than changing the belts on my DP but again, I found myself turning a lot at the same speed.

Kind of like the tensioner on the band-saw. I added it to my requirements because I knew I was much more likely to remove the tension if it was quick/easy.

M Toupin
11-13-2008, 4:54 PM
These threads always come down to 2 camps; those who've never used a VS DP and claim it isn't needed, and those who have and claim they will never go back to changing belts. Which, oh, by the way, never get changed so you make do for that "one quick hole".

I'm in the "must have" camp myself.

It's an easy retrofit for a DP that didn't come with VS.

1950s Walker Turner DP - been in the family for 40+ years
3ph 1hp motor - free
Misc parts & wire on hand - $0 (would prob cost <$25 new)
110v input, 3ph/220v output - $120

With some careful scrounging and e*aying you could do it even cheaper.

With about 1 1/2 hours puttzing and wiring and I had a VS DP for a grand total of $120. On of the best retrofits I've ever done. I'll never "make do" with a non-VS DP again!

Mike

Josh Kandiko
11-13-2008, 4:54 PM
That's a great idea Josh, now I just need to find an affordable 3ph DP will all of the features I want/need: 6" stroke, rack and pinion table adjustment, 2 axis table tilt, fast/easy depth stop, idiot proof.

Any suggestions?

I usually shop around for old iron and piece together the parts I want. The hardest thing to find will be the six-inch quill, but there are many drill presses around the chicago area that can be had for 100 - 200 that are three phase. Add 100 for the VFD and however much your quill is and then you're set.

Thanks
Josh

Kevin Groenke
11-13-2008, 8:25 PM
I wish it had a keyless chuck, my next one will.

Tony, the chuck on your current drill press can almost certainly be replaced to a keyless one. It's probably held onto the spindle with a Jacobs Taper. You just need to figure out which taper it is and order the upgrade.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/347
http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/productlist.html?subdepartments=Keyless+Drill+Chuc ks:264,265,267
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/MWSRCH?N=31040

-kg

Tony Bilello
11-13-2008, 8:59 PM
Yes it can be because I remember when I bought it and set it up, I had to insert the chuck.
If I remember correctly, a leyless chuck for my lathe was a MT#2 and was about $50.
Fortunately for me, using a key dont bother me as much as changing pulleys.

Bob Aquino
11-13-2008, 9:35 PM
Its not a must have but its very nice to have. I lived with a standard 5 speed Craftsman for many years. I decided a while back to upgrade all my tools to older high end models. I got real lucky and picked up a nice Clausing VS 15" model. I wouldn't give up the VS for nothing. Dial in whatever speed you want.

Keep in mind, you won't find VS on any lower end machines. Especially on the older machines they will be the higher end Powermatics, Deltas and Clausings to name a few. Along with the variable speed you will get a much heavier machine, longer quill travel, heavier bearings, better chuck. Different class of machines that what you will find in the likes of Sears, HD and Lowes.

You can retrofit variable speed on any machine with a 3 phase motor. VFD's for a horse and under aren't that expensive and will give you that capability. Find an older 3 phase machine and its a pretty simple addition.

Alan Schaffter
11-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Alan,

I am sick of waiting for the Delta or SC VSDP, cannot find the right deal on an old Clausing or PM, and like the t-slots and forward tilt of the Delta 17-950, so I'm thinking of duplicating your VFD drill press mod. I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

What's the hp of the motor you put in and is it enough? We'll occasionally be drilling up to 1" holes in 1/4" steel.

What is the RPM of the motor? Did you remove the idler pulley, or retain it for a wider speed range?

Are external pot and tach capabilities common to vfd's or particular to the one you used? Would you share your source for the VFD and motor?

How did you attach the lasers to the head rather than the column?

What is the little toggle switch on your control panel for? Lasers?

Why on earth can't manufacturers do this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

-kg

Just getting to the forum after a day in the shop!

I put a 1 1/2 hp, 220V*, 3 ph, 3450 RPM Lesson (non-inverter duty**) motor on it. I removed the idler- it just slide up and out.

* While some of the smaller VFD's use 110V or 220V single phase input, the output of all VFD's is 220V or 440V, 3ph.
** Inverter duty motors have heavier winding, better insulation, and better cooling(?) My usage is light, non-commercial, so I didn't feel I needed an inverter duty motor.

I may put the idler back in- to gear it down more. The problem with motors running on a VFD is they lose torque at low RPM and can overheat due to the way the coils and iron react at less than 60 hz. With the idler I can gear it down more mechanically. High end is no problem since the motor can handle overspeeding without problem, other than bearings wearing out quicker.

A DC motor and DC controller might actually be better in this application, but prices go up pretty quickly for the controller and motor when you get above fractional hp.

Every VFD I have seen has options for a remote pot- it is a low voltage circuit wired to a terminal strip. Mine uses a 10K pot. I got a multi-rotation pot too, for finer control, but never installed it. Actually, with most VFD's you can remote start, stop, fwd, rev, speed, etc.

FYI, if the VFD does not come with a manual and if you can't find one on the web- don't buy it. You need to know how to wire AND PROGRAM it- they are all different. There are many (a dozen to over 100!) software settings that MUST be set and others that should be set, for it to work properly.

The tach is a totally separate device. The readout on VFDs indicate status, programmed parameters, error codes, and frequency. Some allow you to program your pulley ratios so it will give you a computed RPM.

VFD and motor- Ebay

Tach- MKC Tools (http://www.mkctools.com/index.html). It is a neat little device. Normally, the readout is mounted on the circuit board but I asked them if they could send one with the display unmounted- I wired the display using an IC type socket and a multi-conductor cable- a job not for the electronically inexperienced!! The tach works on a 9 v battery or power adapter. I have one of these tachs on my lathe too.

I often rotate the DP head to get a fresh spot on the table insert so mounted the laser on the underside of the headstock instead of the column. I drilled and tapped holes in the bottom of the headstock and took the laser case apart and drilled screw holes in that too. My laser should never need to be realigned.

The toggle switch is the motor "run" switch (low voltage circuit wired to the VFD remote terminals, like the speed pot.) The original Delta switch powers up the VFD (and the tach and laser). You should never put a switch on the power leads running between the VFD and the motor!!!!!!!!

Any other questions, just ask. I'll put this thread on notification.

Kirk Poore
11-14-2008, 11:09 AM

Any suggestions?

I figure I can do the Delta 17-950 for $400, VFD $100?, motor $100, controls/electrical $30 for a total of $650.

Thanks all,
-kg

Rebuild a used machine. I did, starting with a head and short column off of a multi-head production DP, and got everything you wanted and more except the tilt table:

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/8058-E.jpg

1967 Powermatic 1200 20" DP w/1.5 hp 3ph motor and 42" column: $85
Bearings and belts: ~$125
Side wings off an old Grizzley tablesaw: $20
Materials for stand: ~$100
VFD (TECO FM-50): $154 (including shipping)
Steel City Laser (not shown): $45
Paint & misc: ~$15

Total price ~$550 for 6" stroke, crank head adjustment, variable speed (200-2000 rpm before changing the frequency), and big table at the same height as my RAS table. Of course, don't break the VS pulley when removing it and things will go much more quickly.

I've been using the VS for about a month now, and it's really really nice. Since you can only change the speed while the DP is on, you do have to plan ahead a little and slow it down before you replace that quarter inch bit with the three inch rosette cutter.:) My old Taiwanese DP did OK, but moving the belts was irritating and now I always use it at a reasonable speed. Oh, and in 10 years with the old DP I used the tilting table less than 5 times.

Kirk

chet jamio
11-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I was involved in this post when it started several months ago. I was intrigued by all the info of making/converting/rebuilding a VS drill press and had given up on waiting for the Delta. Every story ended with a price of around $500 - $600 unless it included "already had a 3ph motor" or "found a great drill press on CL for only $150". Realizing that I wasn't going to get that lucky, I started to consider what it was really going to cost to make my own to my standards. Once you start add a quality 5/8 keyless chuck, lasers, a nice table, and a fence, you blow right through the $500 mark. That's why I bought the powermatic at $900 delivered after rebate. And for me, I'd rather build projects than tools.

Bill White
11-14-2008, 1:07 PM
Variable speed is something you can't live without if you've had it. With a lathe I feel it's a must have. On a DP I think it'd be rare to change speeds so frequently that you'd benefit from the variable speed enough to justify the increase in cost.

Just my $1/50

My 1950's Craftsman ( I think King-Seely) makes me change the belt location. That puppy is a TANK, and I ain't trading for a new one with variable speed. The belt change is no problem for moi.

The VS on the Griz lathe uses sheeves. Just gotta keep 'em clean. So, change belts or keep sheeves clean--6 of 1, etc.
Bill

Clifford Mescher
11-14-2008, 1:18 PM
I was involved in this post when it started several months ago. I was intrigued by all the info of making/converting/rebuilding a VS drill press and had given up on waiting for the Delta. Every story ended with a price of around $500 - $600 unless it included "already had a 3ph motor" or "found a great drill press on CL for only $150". Realizing that I wasn't going to get that lucky, I started to consider what it was really going to cost to make my own to my standards. Once you start add a quality 5/8 keyless chuck, lasers, a nice table, and a fence, you blow right through the $500 mark. That's why I bought the powermatic at $900 delivered after rebate. And for me, I'd rather build projects than tools.
When I was a kid all bicycles were "one speed" except what we used to call an "english" bike that had 3 speeds. All the kids wanted a 3- speed bike. It was easier to pedal uphill and you could really pick up speed going down hill or level ground.
I don't have a variable speed drill press. But I wish I did. Clifford.

John Carlo
11-14-2008, 10:59 PM
I got spoiled with VS on my Shopsmith. Some years later I came upon a great buy on a Delta floor model DP without VS. Used it for years along with the Shopsmith. I didn't like to make the belt changes but found that I set it up for a certain speed and that worked most of the time. Two years ago I added the Delta VS floor model. Having multiple setups for drilling is a great time saver.

But. what is more important is to build a good table top and fence with convenient hold downs. I like the new DP offerings with tables that tilt in two directions. I'm considering trying a retrofit.