PDA

View Full Version : Which fence?

Rick Nudd
08-06-2008, 8:28 AM
I recently purchased a very used Grizzly cabinet saw. The fence was sort of jury rigged and needs to replaced. My question is, which fence to buy? I am looking at the Shop Fox classic, Vega, Biesemeyer, and the Exaktor fences. I am only a weekender, thought I do want a the best for the money. Any input would be appreciated.

Rick

scott spencer
08-06-2008, 8:55 AM
The SF Classic is the most popular of the two stock fence choices on the new Griz 1023. The Biese is a great fence IMHO but can be expensive. The Vega is also excellent IMO and tends to cost less than the others.

Scott Schwake
08-06-2008, 5:40 PM
The Delta T2 seems to be another popular one here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89196

Don Morris
08-06-2008, 5:49 PM
When I got my 1023SL I anticipated upgrading to a Bies. fence at some time. That was years ago. The SF fence has been a pleasant surprise at it's ease of use and accuracy. The Bies. may be better, but "Law of Parsimony" which states: if two things get you to the same end, and one is a whole lot cheaper, then go with the less expensive, and use you're hard earned bucks for other needed things. If I hit the lottery, maybe, but in the interim, my SF works plenty well for me.

Brad Pearce
08-06-2008, 6:03 PM
I purchased a G0444Z several years ago with a SF classic fence. I've been extremely pleased with the accuracy and ease of use of this fence.

Chris Kennedy
08-06-2008, 7:04 PM
Can't speak to the ShopFox or Vega -- I haven't used them. I have a Biesemeyer (it came with my saw) and it is fantastic. What I love about it is that I can set it to rip at width X, do several other things, and reset it to width X and rip boards at exactly the same width. The gauge is that easy to read and set, and the mechanism is that repeatable.

Cheers,

Chris

Chuck Tringo
08-06-2008, 8:11 PM
I would take a look at the unifence also, its a bit cheaper than the Bise if you look around the net, and it can do quite a bit that none of the others can: cut of stop, low profile fence. and a few others.

Lance Norris
08-07-2008, 5:14 AM
I would take a look at the unifence also, its a bit cheaper than the Bise if you look around the net, and it can do quite a bit that none of the others can: cut of stop, low profile fence. and a few others.

+1

I also am a fan of the Unifence.

Loren Bengtson
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Me three.

I haven't used any of the others, but I have liked the features of my Unifence for the 15+ years I have used it. The one big drawback is that it's too easy to break the plastic index mark if you remove the fence for cross cutting. Buy a few and keep them handy. They're not cheap, but not outrageous either.

Loren

Ed Labadie
08-18-2008, 1:12 PM
+4

I really like my Unifence. Most of the time I use it on the low fence setting. I think it gives you better vision of the board/fence contact and provides more hand clearance until you use a push-stick.

If needed you can buy an aftermarket Beis type fence for it.

Ed

Chris Knudsen
08-18-2008, 1:20 PM
Another vote for the Unifence. It is far more versatile than most others out there.

jerry nazard
08-18-2008, 2:12 PM
Unifence. Worth the $$.

Ted Torres
08-18-2008, 3:10 PM
Rick,

If you looking for a 30" rip capability, this Biesemeyer 36-B30 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000H0VHFU/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance) would be hard to beat at the under $350 asking price (includes shipping)!

My 22124 Zipcode saw came with this fence system. It is Very Solid, locks down real easy, stays put with virtually no rear deflection, accurate and simple to square, easy to read and glides very smoothly!

Ted

Verne Mattson
08-18-2008, 3:12 PM
My vote is for the Biesemeyer. I finally bought one for my contractor saw last year and it's a pleasure to use.

Brian Knop
08-18-2008, 7:46 PM
I also have a unifence and would never buy another one. I bought the unifence because I was able to get a great deal, but now 10 years later I wish I had waited and spent the money on a Biesemeyer.

Ed Sallee
08-18-2008, 8:15 PM
I was almost going to get a new fence and did some shopping around. Almost went with the Biesemeyer.... but, I told the guy at Woodcraft what the problem was (I have a Dewalt DW746), which was that my blade got in to the stock fence a little and was making just enough of a lip to catch some wood and hold up on the fence at that point. Anyway, he suggested some slick tape. I bought a small roll of about 1/8" thick slick tape and applied to the face of my fence. Better than new!
It was a good suggestion. I took the money that I was going to dump in the fence and got me a couple of new Forest WWII's....

Eddie Darby
08-18-2008, 8:31 PM
I like this after-market fence.

http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/default.php

Red-Line

David Micalizzi
08-18-2008, 9:12 PM
I pulled a Bies. Clone off my Jet Cabinet Saw and put on a Unifence.
Works very well. It is Flat my clone was not and it is more versital IMHO.
Get the Unifence and you will be glad you did. Don't worry about adding jigs to it like some may say.

Danny Thompson
08-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Biese. . .

Ted Torres
08-21-2008, 6:36 PM
FYI,

Bies 36-B30 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000H0VHFU/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance) down to $330...includes fence, rails, laminate table board and leg support set, w\free shipping...Wow! :D