PDA

View Full Version : First Corian Pen

Ben Gastfriend
08-06-2008, 7:18 AM
I went into the Penn State Showroom for pen kits, and they have a table full of cheap Corian cutoffs. I made 4 of these pens for gifts using 5 Corian swatches cut into quarters. I'm really surprised at how well this stuff turns.

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2008, 7:57 AM
Looks like a pretty nice pen - Ben! Nice design and colors! Good to see you posting your work again!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2008, 8:25 AM
Nice pens Ben! They will make great gifts!

The only trouble I had with Corian was some of the blanks split out when I was drilling them.

Paul Douglass
08-06-2008, 8:29 AM
Corian is one of my favorites. Just have to be very careful when drilling. Take it slow.

Very nice pen.

Ben Gastfriend
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the comments. I did have to slow down the DP considerably for the corian, but it worked out well. I also scroll sawed this, not exactly turning, but the same material. It's called a "Kokopeli"...? The pattern is from a book, and I have no idea what exactly it it. Looks like a little guy playing a horn of some sort.

robert hainstock
08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I turned some slimlines a while back and I too was suprised at how well it turns. I'll have to try your glueup method. Only way to get enough material for the larger barrels. Great Idea ben. What glue did you use between the layers? :):) Nice pen by the way!
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Ben, Kokopeli is a fertility deity of some southwestern Native American tribes and their religions. Do a search on it.

Ben Gastfriend
08-06-2008, 4:37 PM
I used polyurethane glue, but I'm sure CA would work as well.

Bill Dunn jr
08-06-2008, 6:24 PM
Nice looking pen Ben.

Robert - I use CA and glue two 1/2" pieces together for the larger barrels. Some colors of Corian come out seamless and others not so well. You can also get several colors in 3/4" material.

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2008, 6:31 PM
Nice pens Ben! They will make great gifts!

The only trouble I had with Corian was some of the blanks split out when I was drilling them.

Ken you have to go slow and pull the bit out quite often. If you don't it will heat and split.

Ben great looking pen. I also use poly glue and have good luck.

Paul Douglass
08-06-2008, 7:21 PM
Got this off the internet:

According to Hopi Indian legend, Kokopeli (the flute player and traveling prankster) was the symbol of happiness, joy, and fertility. He would visit villages playing his flute, carrying seeds in his backpack (the "hump" he is pictured as having). Everyone would sing and dance through the night. Then, while the people slept, Kokopeli would roam the corn fields, playing his flute. The next morning the people would awake to find the corn almost full grown and Kokopeli gone, and many of the young women of the village pregnant. One legend has it that he is responsible for the end of winter and the coming of spring. When, the story goes, Kokopeli comes playing his flute, the sun comes out, the snow melts, the green grass grows, the birds begin to sing, and all the animals gather around to hear his songs.