PDA

View Full Version : Wood supplier in Dallas Ft Worth area?

Billy Dodd
08-06-2008, 7:14 AM
I have to go to Irving Texas for a couple days and was wondering if there is a reasonable wood supplier there. I'd like to find some mesquite if possible or some other nice wood.

Steve Jenkins
08-06-2008, 7:56 AM
Bill, you might try Blue Lynx Hardwoods. They are in Dallas but not far from Irving especially if you are going to be in the Las Colinas area. I'm not sure if they have Mesquite or not but they have a good selection of exotics and of course all your "normal" hardwoods.
Their number is 972 241-4777.

James Ashburn
08-06-2008, 9:38 AM
If you have a chance to get as far north as Sanger (north of Denton) then check out Bob Pugh's operation at Woods of Mission Timber. www.woodsofmissiontimber.com (http://www.woodsofmissiontimber.com) He has a woodmiser mill and several vacuum kilns. He not only has great local woods like Mesquite, Pecan, Eastern Red Cedar, Osage Orange and many others he aslo gives a great tour. He has an awesome showroom where he sells items from lacal artists. If you are looking for wood for turning or carving, if he doesn't have it, he can cut it for you.

I think Blue Lynx used to be Austin Hardwoods. I haven't been there in a while but it is also a great local spot. They deal in a lot of imports and high volume stuff. I don't recall them having Mesquite before but since they are local they are worth a visit.

Enjoy Irving,
James

Dan Gill
08-06-2008, 9:58 AM
Yes, Blue Lynx used to be Austin Hardwoods. The last time I was there they had some mesquite, but I think it's something that they don't always have. Great place, though.

Billy Dodd
08-06-2008, 7:04 PM
Thanks Steve, James and Dan,
I will have to give them a try while I'm here. I have a half a day free to check places out.

Tom Hamilton
08-07-2008, 7:35 AM
Billy, you might try http://woodworldtx.com. I received their e-newsletter this AM. If memory serves they are on the northeast corner of Central Expressway (75) and LBJ, in behind TI's campus.

Enjoy, Tom, in Houston, heading to Dallas today to visit grandchildren.

Billy Dodd
08-09-2008, 1:02 AM
Steve and Dan, I went to Blue lynx Friday and they did indeed have some mesquite in stock. Thank you very much for your help.