PDA

View Full Version : Applewood box

Leo Van Der Loo
08-06-2008, 1:29 AM
Here's a picture of my last box turning result, any/all comments appreciated.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-06-2008, 1:32 AM
Here are 2 more pic's of the box, open box and box bottom look.
The box is about 6" and finished with one coat of polymerized tung oil and buffed

Ron Fleice
08-06-2008, 6:32 AM
Beautiful job Leo although I find the lid a little oversized, but thats just me.
Was the wood dry when you turned it? I have access to lots of apple wood in my own yard but the only thing I have turned is a couple of tool handles...
Ron

Scott Lux
08-06-2008, 8:18 AM
I like it. It reminds me of the mythical acorn from an apple tree. What finish did you use?

Ron, you can tell the wood was dry when he turned it, because it didn't warp and crack :D Apple is so pretty, but it won't sit still.

Lux

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2008, 8:20 AM
Interesting form Leo - almost a domed effect! Very nice piece of apple! Most of the folks I know that turn apple have a heck of a time finishing it without it cracking. This has great color and the finish highlights the wood!

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you post next!

Paul Engle
08-06-2008, 8:35 AM
Very cool Leo, I like the domed look and the acorn shape that Scott brought up ..... acorn from an apple ..... ah applea-corn .....:rolleyes: or a-cornapple. Nice work Leo.:D

Mike Minto
08-06-2008, 9:19 AM
Very nice wood - looks almost like an Indian 'Tangine' cooker. Intentional? Mike

Dan Oliphant
08-06-2008, 9:23 AM
Great looking piece. I really like the overall look of the design.

Bill Bolen
08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Leo this is a beaut! I'm really taken with the form, lid the whole design. That apple wood is perfect for the form. Unique!...Bill...

Leo Van Der Loo
08-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys for the responses and comments.
Well I never turn dry wood, unless it's some exotic wood, and that is very seldom,as we do have so much beautiful turning wood around up here.
I have no more problems drying with Apple wood than with other wood, this box was rough turned and then left to dry and returned.

I start with split-free wood and turn in one go, and I will apply some CA to any suspect weak areas, then place immediately in a brown paper bag and store in a cool draft-free spot and let it dry, I do have a quick look the first week or two, than after a month or so they (depending wall thickness, size of the bowl) get taken out of the bag and left to dry like that, and this has worked well for me for many years.

I ran a little trial last year, (for this drying thing comes up regularly) where I turned a bunch of Apple wood bowls and from these I took some and sealed them with Anchor seal, outcome ?,...... no difference, but the sealed ones took longer to dry, I'll ad 2 pictures here to show the outcome.

Jerry Gerard
08-06-2008, 1:19 PM
I ran a little trial last year, (for this drying thing comes up regularly) where I turned a bunch of Apple wood bowls and from these I took some and sealed them with Anchor seal, outcome ?,...... no difference, but the sealed ones took longer to dry, I'll ad 2 pictures here to show the outcome.

First let me say that box is just beautiful , for me everything seems to blend well . That apple wood is just gorgeous , you picked a good piece for that box. I was going to ask if you sealed them after turning the first time . Do you think your climate has something to do them not cracking ?

Regards
Jerry

curtis rosche
08-06-2008, 1:20 PM
that mustve been a huge apple tree, that looks like its all heart wood

Leo Van Der Loo
08-06-2008, 1:56 PM
Jerry thanks, It's not Arizona here, but SW Ontario is very similar to a large part of NE US, what does make a big difference, is exactly doing as what I said I do.
The other thing that will make a difference with Apple, was it an orchard tree or not, if so then the branch-wood will have a lot of tension grown into the wood, the main trunk though should be just fine, as that's my experience, so I try to get wild grown Apple or ornamental trees.

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2008, 6:59 PM
Leo that is a great looking box. Very nice looking apple wood.

robert hainstock
08-06-2008, 7:24 PM
Very interesting piece Leo. We don't see much size in the apple around here. But I have seen the most stable wood crack after many years. It is part of the vortex. :)
Bob