PDA

View Full Version : Latest in "Wierd Pen" Series

michael gallagher
08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I picked up a few bowling ball pen blanks from a guy a week or two ago, and decided to spin one up to see what it wanted to become; here are two pictures of the results. Be gentle on your critique as it is only my second try at turning one of these acrylic / cast / whatever you call it (how about non-wood?) pen blanks. The guy who made the blank picks up bowling balls that are about to be pitched because they are cracked or chipped from his local bowling alley - he then cuts them into little chips with different colors and casts them.

One of the important lessons I learned on this project is to follow instructions - for a man, it is something I am trying to objectively apply each and everyday, but as we all know life is a struggle. The creator of this pen blank was kind enough to send me written instructions on the best way to turn this type of blank - I promptly skipped right over that part and went to the "how to finish the blank" section instead.

My mistake.

The instructions said to use the skew and take light, gentle cuts. Seeing as how I didn't read the directions, I whipped out the gouge to take that big 'ole blank down to the slimline kit I was going to put it on.
Did I mention it was a mistake not to follow instructions? Bowling ball parts were flying everywhere, that stringy white crap (stuff) flew all over: my hair, the back wall, my bandsaw, the shelf, the fan about 10 feet away, down through my shirt and into my underwear, etc.

But I am not here to talk about my underwear (I suspect that is another bulletin board site).

Since I got aggressive with the gouge, I immediately turned a HUGE divot in the top portion of the blank. Nothing like working on your reconstructive skills at the lathe on a Tueday night post-Tropical Storm Eduardo, as I didn't think the tried-and-true wood method of grabbing some shavings and applying generous amounts of CA glue would benefit the blank. That's why the top part is kind of straight in contrast to the curved portion of the bottom.

My photography sucks (some will argue my lathe skills do, too), but I am quite pleased with the bowling ball blank. It's as smooth as can be, and has a real shine in good lighting. Needless to say, I think I like these casting blanks, and I have been impressed with many of the pens I have seen created with original blanks - it seems like you're only limited by your imagination in casting. I also like the uniqueness of this blank - you sure won't find it at your local Rockler or Woodcraft!

Anyone see the article in the papers several months ago about the guy who turned a pen with a blank cast from cow manure?

Thanks for listening-

Michael

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Michael....nice recovery. Interesting colors in that pen.

If they turn like regular acrylics, a sharp skew is the tool to use. Then sand and wet sand. I wet sand through micromesh 3600. Then buff.

BTW....My youngest son lives in Pearland. We talked to him today. He was disappointed by the little amount of rain you folks got from that storm. He said you could use a whole lot more rain.

Bill Bolen
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Michael, I enjoyed your story as much as the pen! I kept thinking "he's me! Glad it turned out well for you and a neat pen to boot!..Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Nice story Michael - got a few laughs out of it! Good looking pen! Really like the unique color variations. Oh - thanks for the photo showing there are other things I can use my chainsaw on!!

robert hainstock
08-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh well, it is a nice pen. Where did you say you get the blank material? :):)
Bob

Jerry Gerard
08-06-2008, 1:07 PM
I got a good laugh out of this story . Nice job on the pens , and all this time I just thought they called them bowlin ball blanks because they looked like a bowlin ball . I didn't know they actually cut up the bowlin ball itself , I guess anything can be a candidate for a pen blank .:confused: Hmmm !

michael gallagher
08-06-2008, 8:00 PM
I'm glad to see some of you saw the humor in the pen-making process!

Ken-

It's a small world with your son living here in Pearland; there are a couple of other Creekers here in Pearland, so if you're down this way give us the headsup. We didn't get as much rain as we needed (probably about 10 inches short for the year), but overall I think the Houston area dodged a potential bullet. The folks in Beaumont got it yet again just like with Hurricane Rita.

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2008, 8:46 PM
Michael great story and a very nice save. I like the blank you used.

Anthony Penchetta
08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Michael, forgive me but I will withhold commenting on your pens. :eek:
But loved your story. I am an avid bowler. Had to buy a new bowling ball every year. When I got into turning, and then big time into pens. I took a bowling ball out into the desert and used it as target practice so I could turn it. Took several clips from my .45 to get that thing apart, That is some tuff stuff.