PDA

View Full Version : Project Help Please

Gregg Feldstone
08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm making a lazy susan out of this 13" block of paduk and walnut. It's 2 1/2" thick, which I know is on the thick side, but I don't want to waste much of this attractive wood.
I am looking for suggestion on how to decorate the edge. I'm thinking about a few beads or maybe turning the whole edge into a gentle ogee (larger at the top) or a combination of both. The top surface will be recessed to create a lip around the top edge. Thanks!!

Gregg Feldstone
08-06-2008, 1:55 AM
Nobody has any suggestions? Anyone do something similar you can show some pics of?

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2008, 8:36 AM
Greg - my first thoughts are to keep everything simple when it comes to the design. I am guessing the lazy susan is to be used on a dining/kitchen table and as such will need to be able to be cleaned. If you use any type of detail work (beads, grooves, etc) that food can get into - you may have problems cleaning.

I would keep away from sharp edges and go more towards a half round edge. Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing your design!

curtis rosche
08-06-2008, 3:33 PM
i would go with what steve said and not do a lot of detail. but i would say that you should make a lipp somewhere from the middle to the top. to act as a finger hold or hand hold, i would assume that if it gets moved you dont want to have to take everything off because you cant hold it

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2008, 6:55 PM
I agree with Steve Gregg. I would leave the bottom side square and half roll the top edge. IMHO I think that will look better than trying to spruce it up. That is how I would do that one to keep as much for the wood and it does look good.

Gregg Feldstone
08-10-2008, 7:19 AM
Bernie, What exactly do you mean by "half roll"? Do you have a pic or simple sketch? Thanks!!

Paul Engle
08-10-2008, 1:16 PM
Gregg, I'd be tempted to see if It could be cut up as for segment work. It is possible you could get enough to make two lz's from that wood and use the left overs for a random pattern fill for a third. As it stands the blank could end up being 40 to 60% waste loss, or you could make a mold , save all the waste and mix with epoxy ( thined some what) or acrylic (melted with Jon Lanier's recipe ) and return the resulting shape. JAT .....