PDA

View Full Version : giving back to the community

patrick anderson
08-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I was very fortunate that when I was about at my wits end, a certain gentleman from MI helped me out.

His stipulation for the help ( for lack of a better word) was to pass it on to someone else. I'm not quite out of the woods yet but my Wife and I feel the need to repay the generosity that this individual bestowed upon us (or rather me).

I was even more so fortunate when a gentleman form the bt3 forum paid for me to be able to post my advertisement for items for sale on this forum as I hadn't donated yet.

So I'm offering a "grant" for a lack of better terms to a deserving cause ('s) to the total value of $300.

This is on a first come first served basis and all applicants will be entertained. My decision however will be FINAL so no sore losers OK.

Joe Chritz
08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Pay it forward friend.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Pick a worthy cause and send it off.

Personally I prefer charities that offer something to military or police families. I may be a bit bias however.

An organization like concerns of police survivors, which helps the families of police officer killed in the line or one of the many charities offering aid to military families or to injured soldiers is always a good idea. No good society should ever forget its warriors. Someone always has to walk the wall, so to speak.

The other thing is you are "required" to pay it forward until you are able to do so. Not knowing anything about the incident I don't know if that is the case but good for you regardless.

Joe

Mike Henderson
08-06-2008, 12:18 AM
I believe in the same thing - helping someone but giving them the obligation to help someone else. But rather than give money to a cause, wait until you have the opportunity to help an individual, as your benefactor helped you. It may take some time, but an opportunity will present itself. It always does.

Mike

Scott Haddix
08-06-2008, 6:30 AM
I would also suggest looking into ways of using your time and skills to give back. My personal favorite is Habitat for Humanity. I organize about 4 volunteer days a year with my company and find that I always get as much out of each experience as I give.

Other people I know get involved with organizations like Big Brothers & Big Sisters or with other organizations that are focused on helping kids.

Pick one that fits you best and give it a shot.

Scott Kilroy
08-06-2008, 8:42 AM
Before deciding on an organization I recommend you take a look at
http://www.charitynavigator.org/
A lot of well meaning charities are seriously mismanaged.

Personally, my preference is to donate to local organizations. Your local library could always use the money.

Belinda Barfield
08-06-2008, 8:52 AM
Another option would be to check with a local area children's hospital, if you have one. A Social Worker there may be able to put you in touch with a family who needs assistance with expenses while their child is being treated. Check with a local nursing home and get a list of patients who are without family, then deliver flowers to the ladies, and do something nice for the gentlemen. This isn't "helping" someone in the manner that most people think of, but it makes a world of difference if you are on the receiving end.

I agree with some of others that your money may be better used by helping an individual rather than a charity.

Not to take up too much space here, but here is an example of how much "paying it forward" can mean to someone. My aunt was diagnosed about four months ago with pancreatic cancer. She was sent to M.D. Anderson in Houston for evaluation and possible surgery. She is a naturally outgoing person and has many "e-mail friends". I was contacted by one of her "e-mail buddies" who had never met, her but knew her from business phone calls and e-mail. He offered to pay for transportation, lodging expenses, meals, and provide a little pocket money for any immediate family member who could not afford to fly to Houston for the surgery. Needless to say, my family was overwhelmed by his generosity. My aunt's surgery has been postponed until late October, if they can operate then, but his offer is still on the table.

It is wonderful to see the level of love of fellow man exhibited by you and others like you.

Phyllis Meyer
08-06-2008, 9:11 AM
Patrick,

My heart goes out to the elderly, and children! Programs to stop drunk driving, military families, Boys & Girls Club, oh goodness I could go on... and I know you will get many responses from our own personal "good causes". I would highly recommend you do something "local". Know the organization, and who runs it, or...ask family, friends, and neighbors if there is a family that could really be helped by your generosity! Your heart will know what to do!!

You made my day!
Phyllis:)

Jason Whelehon
08-06-2008, 9:22 AM
I'm glad to see someone who's received the benevolence of another is going to repay it with interest.

I am more a fan of doing the work myself as opposed to using charities. Not to say I'm against charities but, I'd rather give 100% to someone in need instead of 75%.

Personally I strive to find people in everyday situations that might need help and I donate to them directly.

For instance (and not to pat myself on the back), my dad and I were picking up some food from Pasta House and I noticed a pregnant girl who was 16 at most. I handed her $50 and said Merry Christmas and walked out.

She could have used it for an abortion or drugs or as I like to think, medical bills and baby supplies.

It's all God's anyway so who cares what I have and what I don't have?

Phyllis Meyer
08-06-2008, 9:43 AM
You all have truly made my day!

Phyllis:)

Bob Moyer
08-06-2008, 9:54 AM
A number of years ago; I found the reward of paying things forward; my avatar is a photo taken in the Bay St. Louis area of Mississippi on one of the many mission trips I took with our church.

Since then; I had a renewed desire to not only continue to pay forward in areas of helping individuals in fixing up their homes, but, it brought me to this forum since I was a newbie in using tools, how to do certain jobs etc.

Again I was blessed to meet a wonderful group of individual who pay forward with there expertise, knowledge and experiences.

Recently we (our church) decided to help families in the area that needed help; widows, elderly, homebound, handicapped or someone who was just in need period.

Again, we were very fortunate to meet a group of wonderful individuals who for various reasons needed someone to care and help.

Good luck with your project and I know that you will continue in helping others.