PDA

View Full Version : Would like to make a chain pull

Stefan Antwarg
04-29-2004, 4:08 PM
I guess it would be called a chain pull. I am talking about something to hook up to a ceiling fan so I can turn the light on or off and/or change fan speeds. I would like to turn a little something on the lathe. But I need a few ideas. First, maybe some suggestions on a design. Also, and most importantly, how do I attach one of those little chains to it. You know, those little bee-bee chains.

Thanks
Stefan

Lee Schierer
04-29-2004, 4:24 PM
I can't help with the turing part, but to fasten the chain drill a hole slightly larger than the beads on the chain and about 3/8-1/2" or so deep. Fill the hole with glue and stick in the end of the chain. Once the glue dries it should be permanently attached. If you only glue in a short length of chian you can still use one of those chain connectors to hook it on.

Dan Stuewe
04-29-2004, 4:35 PM
Penn State and others I'm sure, sell kits so that the chain attaches to brass fittings on the wood...

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=PK-LTPULL&Category_Code=LIPULL

Lee has a simple solution. As for turning it. That's where the fun is, you can play with whatever shape you like. You can also get inspiration from the catlogs with key chain, ornament or other types of projects.

(I just looked at the Penn State instructions - see link in above link - and they give several sugested profiles.)

Jim Becker
04-29-2004, 9:35 PM
Take a close look at the things that Dan points at...if you're not going to make a lot of these pulls, you can just devise/turn a wood "mandrel" just like them for your drilled blank to slip over tightly as you work. One of the useful skills that any turner should try to pick up on is making these custom "chucks" and "mandrels" as needed, especially for small spindle work. It hones your skills while letting you concentrate your investments in the things you'll use more universally.

Stanley Campbell
04-30-2004, 6:59 AM
AS was suggested Penn State makes a Light Pull Kit as well as Craft Supplies. Both are Different. The Penn State one has 2 Gold plated pieces for the ends and uses a regular 7mm mandrel. You will need to mill or drill out a spare bushing so that the chain doesn't get broken when you are pressing in the end cap. Craft Supplies doesnt use end caps from what I can tell from their site, basicall you drill a small hole and use their special mandrel to turn the Pull then put in the chain and you are done. A lot depends on how you want it to look.

One thing I do is I make the Fan Pull with 3 rings around it and none around the Light Pull, that way I can easily tell the difference or tell someone else which is which.

Stan

Stefan Antwarg
04-30-2004, 9:58 AM
Is there any reason why I couldn't just make it out of solid wood - without a mandrel? Just do it between centers.

My lathe skills are weak and I just don't know the advantages of doing it one way over another

Thanks

Jim Becker
04-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Is there any reason why I couldn't just make it out of solid wood - without a mandrel? Just do it between centers.
Not at all. But it's easier to drill for the pull string/chain before turning, so fabricating a wood "chuck", at least on the drive side will make mounting it "centered" easier.

Stanley Campbell
05-03-2004, 6:51 AM
I also thought of making one out of solid wood. I thought I would drill a 9/32 hole for the chain to slip through and still be small enough to not let the chain connector slide through. Drill the bottom with a 19/32 hole so I could mount it somehow and also be about the right size for a 1/4 inch plug. I figured if the piece was long enough I could cut the plug from the same wood and I might almost make it invisible when it was finished. Of course constrasting woods for the plug could also look nice.

Stan