PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Steve Schlumpf and Tom Steyer I am a vacuum chucker

earl timmons
08-05-2008, 8:56 PM
I own a Laguna 18/47 and a Jet Mini. There are not a lot of the 18/47's out there.

I recently went on a quest to add vacuum chucking to the Laguna. I was very fortunate to learn of two gentlemen Steve Schlumpf and Tom Steyer while reading this forum. Steve supplied me with his excellent vacuum chuck tutorial. I adapted it to allow it to run my Jet Mini as well. Steve I owe you. Steve used a rotary adapter from Tom Steyer in his system. I contacted Tom and after a couple of conversations and few pictures sent to him I was the proud owner of a high quality rotary adapter for a Laguna 18/47. I am running the Jet off a Holdfast rotary adapter. But I am going to have Tome build me one for that as well, I had purchased the Holdfast before I knew of Tom's. As with Steve I owe Tom he made this a simple task.

Bill Bolen
08-05-2008, 9:26 PM
That Laguna was on my "lust list" for some time. I'm just nosy, how do you like yours? Pro and cons appreciated..Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
08-05-2008, 9:33 PM
Earl - congrats on getting your vac system up and running! You are going to love it! Looking forward to seeing lots of your work real soon! Have fun with it!

earl timmons
08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Bill, my experience with the lathe has been pretty good. I have turned everything from goblets to 17 inch wet Walnut bowls with it. I have not had a problem in terms of power, vibration, speed etc. I did have a problem with the Banjo initially that was promptly fixed when I called Laguna (they sent a new one). I currently have another Banjo problem. It turns out the tool rest hole is not quite 1 inch. I think this is a hangover from their conversion from a more metrics oriented lathe. I bought a Robust rest and it would not fit. I contacted Laguna and I expect a new banjo shortly.

The lathe sells for 1695, is it a 3520B ? I have never turned on a B but I would guess the B is a better machine on the other hand they are selling for 2600 dollars these days and going up. I saw one in Mpls/St Paul at 2900 the other day when I was there. I am happy with the 18/47

Where are you located, feel free to send me a PM if you would like.