PDA

View Full Version : Shop on the way

Shaddy Dedmore
08-05-2008, 5:35 PM
I used to be a regular on the Laser Engraving side of the tracks, and just recently saw what else was available here. Lots of good questions and answers of what I'm needing right now. (pretty busy, so i don't post there as much as I'd like to these days)

About 6 months ago i moved in to a house with a big enough lot for a shop... YAY So i'm getting around to building a 24' x 26' shop, with an upstairs for storage. I have a 45w Epilog laser engraver, a carvewright CNC and a bunch of woodworking stuffs. (Delta contractor tablesaw, DeWalt SCMS, Shopsmith with jointer and bandsaw attachments, Festool saw and some sanders, and am in search of a 60 gal air comp, and a mid sized DC, looking at JDSTools 2 hp cyclone presently)

Monolithic pour (blech, on a hot day no less), engineered trusses, lots of nails. just finished wiring myself (first time doing something of the sort, quite a learning experience), and will get the framing, shear and elec inspections tomorrow (wish me luck hehe).

Using 5 20amp circuits for outlets (1 upstairs, 4 down. 2 on 2 walls, 2 on the other 2, alternating outlets so any 2 outlets next to eachother will be on a different circuit). and 3 20amp 220 circuits (but I used 10gauge wire, so can be upgraded to 30amp if I make a new purchase). and the lights are on 3 15amp circuits (used 12 gauge wire, mainly because i had a lot of it).

don't have the recent pics off my camera yet, but here's what i got so far...

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Shop1sm.jpg

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Shopsm.jpg

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Shop002sm.jpg

Things i learned about electrical work during the past couple weeks...
1 Not all opinions are correct, do your own research and build a good rep with the inspector, they don't mind questions if they think you're trying to do a good job and follow the rules.
2 For a 15 amp circuit you can use 14 ga wire, or 12 ga wire, but you can NOT use 14 and 12 ga wires in the same circuit. pick one and use it.
3 Run your power from panel to light swtches first, then to lights (or switched outlets in my case) and you can get by with using just 14/2 (12/2). but if you run to light first, you need to use some 14/3 (12/3). (not counting 3 way switching, that always needs the 3 wire cables). This isn't a code violation, and might need more cable depending on locations, but using the 3 wire took a lot more brain power and seemed to slow things down a bunch.
4 Spend time in the panel making it look nice, it's where the inspector goes first, and if he likes what he sees there, the rest seemed to go fast with little questioning.

Well, that's my intro... talk to ya'll later

Shaddy

Dave Lessley
08-05-2008, 5:43 PM
I Like it especially the upstairs part. Wished I could have done that. Keep the pictures coming.

Shaddy Dedmore
08-05-2008, 9:09 PM
Few more pics

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Shop%20008sm.jpg

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Shop%20009sm.jpg

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Shop%20003sm.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2008, 9:19 PM
Congrats on the new shop Shaddy!

Like you, the inspector and I developed a good relationship because I wanted to do it right the 1st time. Neatness counts especially in the electrical panel. I've worked in electronics since 1970 and though I'm not an electrician, I have done enough, seen enough and watched enough electrical inspections to pay attention to detail and neatness.

Congrats again on the shop! I look forward to more photos!

Don Bullock
08-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Congratulations on your success so far and good luck with your inspections.

Rob Russell
08-06-2008, 6:10 AM
Your shop looks good - wish I had that sort of a place!

From the wiring in the panel, it looks like you're having a separate meter for the shop. Why? The reason I say that is you have both neutral and grounding conductors landed on the same busses and you can only do that in a main panel. I'm also curious about the purpose of the black wire that seems to connect the 2 grounding bars together - what's that for - to act as a feed for the left buss? If so, that looks a bit small unless you're only running 30 amps of 120v off of that left neutral/grounding buss.

I agree that doing neat wiring and building a good rep with the building inspector is important.

Randy Cohen
08-06-2008, 6:12 AM
around here when its user built the inspections are cursory at best.
your shop looks great and makes me want to build something.

Rollie Meyers
08-06-2008, 7:00 AM
[quote=Rob Russell;902668]Your shop looks good - wish I had that sort of a place!

From the wiring in the panel, it looks like you're having a separate meter for the shop. Why? The reason I say that is you have both neutral and grounding conductors landed on the same busses and you can only do that in a main panel. I'm also curious about the purpose of the black wire that seems to connect the 2 grounding bars together - what's that for - to act as a feed for the left buss? If so, that looks a bit small unless you're only running 30 amps of 120v off of that left neutral/grounding buss.

I agree that doing neat wiring and building a good rep with the building inspector is important.[/quote

The shop is a seperate structure, so a 3 wire feed is OK ( unless the 2008 NEC*® has been adopted) hopefully a concrete incased grounding electrode (trade name "Ufer") was placed in the footing otherwise ground rods will have to be driven (see 250-56 2002 NEC) unless you can prove 25 Ohms of resistance or less a 2nd rod needs to be driven see above NEC referance and note unless you have the testing equipment (it's expensive) the cost for a 2nd rod is cheaper :)

In viewing the panel picture, the white conductors landed on the breaker lugs need to reidentified as something other then white. (Black tape, magic marker)...

Jim Becker
08-06-2008, 7:09 AM
That's a going to be a very enjoyable shop to work in, Shaddy. Good choice with having the second floor. I'm glad I have mine. (Although I need some time to better organize it...)