PDA

View Full Version : Euro hinges and shelf pins

Rob Blaustein
08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
For frameless cabinets it looks like the mounting plates for standard Euro hinges are attached to the sides of the cabinet 37mm from the front, with hole spacing for the two holes at 32mm apart. Several jigs for drilling shelf pin holes (eg Rockler) have the capability to drill the holes at that 37mm setback and the metric versions space the holes at 32mm. So if one has that jig and plans to use 5mm holes, is there any reason NOT to mount the hinges in the shelf pin holes? I'm about to do this but was wondering why I see lots of cabinets in which the shelf pin holes and hinge mounting plates are in different places.
--Rob

Rod Sheridan
08-05-2008, 1:17 PM
Hi Rob, that's one of the design features of the 32mm system, use the holes for hinges, pins or slides.

I would suggest that you purchase a metric tape and ruler for layout.

It's far easier to stay with the metric system inside the cabinets, than use Imperial measurements as an aproximation.

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
08-05-2008, 1:50 PM
The system is pretty much designed to allow for just that. Rock on.

Bruce Wrenn
08-05-2008, 9:34 PM
Just be sure and use the 5 mm screws.

Dave Sabo
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Just a counterpoint, many Euro manufactures especially the high line ones don't use the 32mm system holes at 37mm back for their hinges. Their shelf pin holes are set back a bit further and the hinge plates mounted in dedicated holes by themselves. This allows for shallower shelves that acomodate racks/accessories on the doors themselves, some fancy gas or spring mechanisms for non traditional doors or sliding doors , yet still allows for a "standard" box no matter which door style a customer chooses.

It's probably no advantage to a limited production , or one time kitchen builder though.