PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection bin

Larry Browning
04-29-2004, 2:08 PM
As I consider designing building my dust collection system one of my many concerns is over height of the cyclone/dust bin. I am trying to get it as close to 8' as possible. The dust bin should be metal and able to seal tightly. A 55gal barrel seems too tall, (and large for that matter) but so far I cannot find a 30gal version. I was thinking that maybe I could take it to a welding shop and have them cut it down about 12-14 inches making it shorter and more managable. Does this seem reasonable or is there a better solution?

Also, I am planning on putting it in a seperate room from the shop which has an 8' ceiling. I think it needs to be taller that 8' so I was thinking of just removing the sheetrock between 2 rafters (24" centers) and letting the cyclone extend into the attic. I could frame around the hole and finish it out. Would this work?

Larry

nic obie
04-29-2004, 2:11 PM
Larry,

Penn State Industries sells a short barrel (23", I think).

Matt Meiser
04-29-2004, 2:26 PM
I use a 30 gallon metal trash can. I used foam rubber stick-on weatherstripping to create a gasket. When the can is empty, it will actually lift off the floor slightly when all the blast gates are closed, so it is sealing well. Tractor Supply Co. has them.

JayStPeter
04-29-2004, 4:31 PM
Oneida sells a 35 gallon drum. Basically a shortened 50 gallon drum.

Jay

Larry Browning
04-29-2004, 8:03 PM
I couldn't find anything at either of those sites. Well Penn state had a 26gal paper drum for $40 bucks! I can't imagine what they would want for a metal one! I can get a 55gal drum for 6 bucks. What would a welding shop charge to get it cut down? Maybe $20? Plus, where's the fun in just buying everything? After all, it's the journey, not the destination that interests me.

Larry

Chris Padilla
04-29-2004, 8:14 PM
Larry,

I think you should chop the drum yourself and dovetail the bottom back into place! :p

Jim Becker
04-29-2004, 8:35 PM
Unless your cyclone will be outdoors, the fiber drum is more practical...and easier to pick up and empty. Don't forget that the price should also include the top with an inlet properly sized for your cyclone. It's not just a can. That's one of the things that the Oneida and PSI units should get you. One other point...these fiber drums seal tightly; something that is very, very, very hard to do with a "trash can". The latter was not designed to seal tightly and for a cyclone that's not an option.

Larry Browning
04-30-2004, 8:37 AM
The 55gal drums that are available around here have a lid with the metal strap and buckle seal. Isn't that the same type as those paper drums?

Also, I would sure like some comments on my 2nd question. I have never heard of anyone doing this. It seems reasonable to me, but somehow, I think I may be not thinking of a giant gotcha.

Larry

Jim Becker
04-30-2004, 8:40 AM
Also, I would sure like some comments on my 2nd question. I have never heard of anyone doing this. It seems reasonable to me, but somehow, I think I may be not thinking of a giant gotcha.
Larry, the motor for my Oneida 2hp Commercial cyclone sticks up between the rafters of my shop...8' ceiling height. In that manner, I was still able to use the 55 gallon bin. That was a requirement for me. No way would I go back to a smaller bin!

Larry Browning
04-30-2004, 2:42 PM
Jim.
How do you handle emptying the barrel? Seems to me that it would be a bit awkward and heavy to move around. I would prefer a full size 55 gal drum if I could figure out a few of these issues. Maybe I could strap a 2-wheeler to it. Also, with the added height of the drum, wouldn't the incoming port be about even with the rafters causing problems hooking into the ducting? I am wanting to do the Bill Penze cyclone design. It seems to be taller that others.
Man, I have so many questions running by brain about all this. Please be patient with me as I think all this through.

Larry

Jim Becker
04-30-2004, 3:31 PM
My 55 gallon fiber drum is manageable when full...the barrel itself doesn't weigh much. I just carry it out of the shop, albeit I use the loader on my tractor to carry it across our property to the composting area when the chips are not being used to cover the paths in our vegatable garden. A metal drum is considerably heavier. If you search back on the threads by Robert Ducharme, you'll see a picture of a small drumdolly he picked up to help move the bin around. The bad news about that is you need a couple more inches of head-room and you don't want to shorten the drop tube from the cyclone too much. This is yet another reason I recommend a fiber (or plastic) drum--weight. We're all just normal human beings and as such, none of us are getting any younger!

Bob Johnson
04-30-2004, 4:42 PM
....The bad news about that is you need a couple more inches of head-room and you don't want to shorten the drop tube from the cyclone too much....

Jim, why do you need a drop tube at all? If the bottom of the cone seals to the top of the barrel, isn't that sufficient? I am apparently missing something here.

Bob

Jim Becker
04-30-2004, 5:22 PM
Jim, why do you need a drop tube at all? If the bottom of the cone seals to the top of the barrel, isn't that sufficient?
Good question.

1) Without some form of flexible connection, you'll be hard pressed to remove the barrel to empty...you have to be able to lift the lid up an inch or two to pull out the barrel.

2) To a certain extent, the drop tube is an extension of the cone and further slows the material being deposited so it drops out. If you watch a cyclone in action with a clear drop tube, you'll see material swirling around quite fast. If I am recalling accurately, Oneida suggests a minimum of 4" of flex for a 2-3hp system and supplies a foot. I have mine at about 9" and have have good results. I had a shorter drop tube on my previous unit (a 1.5hp component system) when I upgraded to the larger bin and did notice a difference in how the material was deposited in the bin...when it got somewhat full, a large depression started to appear in the middle as the chips were still moving fast. I don't have that with the new system and the larger, longer drop.

Larry Browning
04-30-2004, 7:20 PM
I seem to be stuck on using the metal dust bin based on what Bill Pentz recommends. He says there is a fire danger when using fiber or plastic. I can also get a plastic 55gal drum for 6 bucks with the same type of sealing lid as the metal ones. This would seem to be a pretty good solution, but what about this fire danger that Bill speaks of?
Larry

Jim Becker
04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
This would seem to be a pretty good solution, but what about this fire danger that Bill speaks of? y
You would have to ask Bill about what he means. Oneida, PSI and others all provide fiber barrels as "standard" faire for indoor installations. Any metal you pick up with a floor sweep does not go through the impeller on these cyclones so no sparking from that. (Don't use a floor sweep with a single stage DC where the material passes through the impeller!)