PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Combination Sander G1183 ?

Fred Childs
08-05-2008, 7:28 AM
I came across this sander used. This is the model with the belt speed of 5000 FPM and disc speed of 3450. Anyone have opinions on the speed or this model in general? Too fast?
There is another Grizzly model with speeds of 2500 FPM and 1725 RPM that seems more in line with the other sanders out there.

Thanks

Brian W Evans
08-05-2008, 8:10 AM
Fred,

I bought a used 1183 several months ago and I'm glad I did. It's a solid machine - very heavy, lots of iron, weighs well over 100 pounds. Adjustments are easy, tables are solid. The speed seems fine. Granted, I've never used a different belt sander (other than my handheld one), but it works fine for me.

Check it over thoroughly before you buy it. I recommend printing out the parts list from Grizzly's site and bringing it with you so you can see if anything's missing. I found, after I got it home, that part #100 (degree slide) - for tilting the disc sander table - was cracked on both sides. This is not a big deal for me since the table somehow still locks down solidly, but I would have paid less had I noticed this.

For reference, I paid $200 for mine and am satisfied that it was worth it.

Steve Mellott
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I owned this tool for several years and sold it last year for $250. I used it in a home hobby shop and it was too aggressive for my needs. I replaced it with a sander that has a slower motor. (I do agree that it was very well built.)

Tim Marks
08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I found, after I got it home, that part #100 (degree slide) - for tilting the disc sander table - was cracked on both sides.
(you probably already know this...) $25.50, buy it online with Grizzly's "purchase parts" link. Then you don't have to worry about it falling off and your table impacting the disc.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1183/parts

Fred Childs
08-05-2008, 5:52 PM
Thanks to all who replied. As often happens with Craigslist when the price is right, by the time I got thru to the seller he had just finished loading it into someone else's truck.:(

Brian W Evans
08-05-2008, 8:19 PM
(you probably already know this...) $25.50, buy it online with Grizzly's "purchase parts" link. Then you don't have to worry about it falling off and your table impacting the disc.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1183/parts

Thanks, Tim. I did look at that already and will definitely take advantage of it.

Jim Becker
08-06-2008, 7:16 AM
I have the G1276 which is the lower speed version...I'd recommend it over the higher speed unit as it will have less burning and pretty much cuts just as fast. In fact, it may give a little more control. Remember, these tools are for shaping wood, not finish sanding.