PDA

View Full Version : 105 degrees...

Neal Clayton
08-04-2008, 10:21 PM
not gonna add fuel to the fire of global warming, but even this is too much for me.

growing up in new orleans i'm very tolerant of heat, we spent many a day fishing in the direct sun with 95+ degree temps and didn't care that much, but 105 was the tally here today in little rock, and i just sent my hired help home and told them to come back on wednesday, it's too much in a shop with only a couple of window units to blow on us.

mark page
08-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I know what you mean. Was close to 110 w/heat index here, plus the "downtown" effect of no breeze and all asphalt effect. Then I get the news that an order of antifreeze got shipped to the wrong store location today. Three pallets of coolant, 36 cases each, at 6 gallons a case. I have to have my people drive 10 miles one way inner city to load, bring back, and unload, then move and stack these pallets by hand. I haven't weighed a gal of coolant, but since water is appx 8 lbs a gal I figure coolant is between 9-10 lbs a gal including the heavy boxing. This computes to appx 18,000 lbs of lumping this stuff in this heat index. I am not a happy camper. Plus "my people" include a woman that's barely 95 lbs sopping wet, a moderately overweight fella, my asst mgr, and me. And since someone has to mind the store and cover deliveries, that makes me & one of the two delivery people. Plus then I get the news that 1 1/2 pallets are for my store and I'm storing the other 1 1/2 for another store that I am not even going to make a red cent off of......:mad:. Then I am moving this stuff with a base model 4 cyl Chevy Colorado pickup. I don't know what the payload capacity is on one of these, but I would not feel comfortable with 36 cases at one time, which means at least six trips of driving. Sorry, I have to vent:eek:

Neal Clayton
08-05-2008, 12:38 AM
both me and the guy i have working on my house are moderately overweight, lol. and we sweat like pigs out in that shop, it's old concrete style stucco so when it gets hot in there, the hot doesn't get out.

our helper is a 19 year old kid so he gets by alright, but we're suffering big time.

i can only imagine how bad it is in dallas and houston and other areas right now that are all built out of brand new heat-absorbing concrete.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2008, 12:57 AM
My sympathies on the heat and humidity.

We are supposed to hit 100 tomorrow and 103 on Wednesday.

At least we don't have the humidity to suffer. Our humidity has been running around 20-30%.

Joe Pelonio
08-05-2008, 8:10 AM
Here we are expecting 85 today, yesterday the high was 76, and no humidity problems. Come on out for a vacation, it's our few days of summer after more than a week of 50s-60s and rain.

I grew up in Lafayette, CA where it was always 105 the first week of school,
in early September, and I still remember how miserable it was even without humidity.

Mitchell Andrus
08-05-2008, 8:22 AM
It's lovely here today. The sun is shining, the humidity is low, the temperature is a mild 82 with a gentle breeze. Birds are singing a happy tune and it's T-Bones on the grill tonight for dinner.

YEA, RIGHT!

Belinda Barfield
08-05-2008, 8:43 AM
It's pretty toasty in Savannah, too. Last week we had a heat index in the 110 range almost daily. At 6 a.m. it's around 75 with 92% humidity. That humidity really sucks the life right out of you as soon as you walk the door. At 6:30 last night I was sweating through water aerobics! Those folks in Texas do have it much worse though.

Y'all stay well hydrated out there in the heat.

Brian Elfert
08-05-2008, 9:24 AM
I was moving furniture out of an RV last night that I am remodeling and I was dying from the heat. It was only in the low 80s, but the dew point was around 70 or higher.

I moved furniture for an hour and then spent an hour inside the house recovering.

David G Baker
08-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Joe,
I lived a few miles from Lafayette, CA and passed through it every work day for around 27 years either by car or BART. I don't remember it getting that hot in that area but I did travel through in an air conditioned car or train. I lived in Antioch where we got the delta breeze that cooled us off most of the time but when the breeze stopped it was unbearably hot. I could work outside in the high 90's with out any problem. We just returned from an 8 day stay in California, the only thing I miss is the cooling off in the evening. I now live in Mid Michigan and never work outside if the weather is in the low to mid 80's due to the humidity. In Michigan on many nights it is still in the upper 70's as late as midnight.
Our high today is supposed to be 79* but it is already 79* in the shade so I am thinking that we will see the mid to upper 80's.

Joe Pelonio
08-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Joe,
I lived a few miles from Lafayette, CA and passed through it every work day for around 27 years either by car or BART. I don't remember it getting that hot in that area but I did travel through in an air conditioned car or train.
Very small world, isn't it? I remember when they first built BART. Lafayette is a low valley and the heat just stayed in it, so it could get hotter than nearby cities like Walnut Creek and Concord, and much hotter than Oakland, just through the tunnel.

Clifford Mescher
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
When I seen 105º I clicked on because I thought it was about hinges. I just ordered some. Clifford

David G Baker
08-05-2008, 1:28 PM
I purchased my home in Antioch because the realtor promised that BART would be in Antioch by 1976. I don't think that it has reached that far yet. It was a 100 mile round trip daily door to door to my job in San Francisco. I did that for around 27 years.
I never spent much time in Lafayette and forgot about those little valleys that roasted the residents and accumulated smoke that stayed from all the fancy fireplaces. When it was green it was one beautiful place.

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2008, 3:16 PM
I've been looking at and researching one of these cooling vests. (http://coolingapparel.com) It's been so hot here and even riding motorcycle to / from work each day is like riding in the LOML's blow-dryer.

I'd like to know if anybody here has any real life experience with one of these cooling vests????

Belinda Barfield
08-05-2008, 3:27 PM
Since I have no personal experience I probably shouldn't even reply to this Dennis, but I am anyway. Long story short I ended up with a box of 100 "cool neck wraps". A couple of weeks ago when it was really getting hot I asked the guy who owns the welding shop next door if his guys had ever tried them, and if not, did they want some to use. He rides his bike to work every day and had just gotten there. He and his wife wear cooling vests during the summer, and he had his on at the time. He swears it is the best money he ever spent. So, not worth much to you, but as I said he and his wife say the vests really makes a difference. All I know is of the four people standing around, three of us were sweating like pigs and one was as cool as a cucumber.

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2008, 3:30 PM
All I know is of the four people standing around, three of us were swetting like pigs and one was as cool as a cucumber.

LOL!!!!! I hear ya Belinda. It doesn't matter. I'm researching them and just trying to find someone with personal experience with them before I decide to spend the money on one. I sure could use done today while trying to clean up more of my very HOT shop. :(

Kevin Arceneaux
08-05-2008, 3:44 PM
Right now, in Honolulu, it is a balmy 82 and the trades are blowing about 10 MPh with gusts up 20 today. The UV index is a 12.

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2008, 3:49 PM
Honee-Loulerr??? Sheesh!!! Try not to suffer to much for us...ok? :p :D

Kevin Arceneaux
08-05-2008, 4:03 PM
It is even better in the winter. I LOVE to call my boss in NJ and abuse him a bit over it.

David DeCristoforo
08-05-2008, 5:00 PM
No sympathy from me. I live in the California Central Valley and in the summer, 105 is "normal". This year it's been pretty mild... only a few three digit days so far....

Chris Kennedy
08-06-2008, 5:40 AM
I've been reading this thread with some interest, watching people's attitudes to the high temps. Just to give you an idea, I've lived in the Bay Area, where it could get hot, but once the fog rolled in, it was blissfully cool. I've lived in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and now Virigina. I've spent summers in Indiana, Tennessee, and Davis, CA.

There is one cruelty that I will never get over. I am used to breezes off the Pacific, which were always cooling. Breezes off the Atlantic are warm, which I find just plain mean. Breezes over the land are just hot.

As for dry heat vs. humidity, the first one simply bakes you while the second is more of poaching effect.

Stay cool,

Chris

Belinda Barfield
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Currently 97, feels like 107. Heat index could go as high as 114 this afternoon. Do we have a Smilie that sweats?

Dennis Peacock
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
How about this one Belinda: http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/too_hot.gif

or maybe this one? http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/thermometer1.gif

Bonnie Campbell
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Already 101 heat index and we haven't hit the 'hot' part of the day :cool:

Belinda Barfield
08-06-2008, 12:44 PM
That first one is perfect Dennis! There's an old saying about the south, "Horses sweat, men perspire, but ladies glow." Well let me tell you buddy, I'm glowing like a stadium flood light every time I walk out the door! :eek:
I can't fathom how women functioned in "the good old days" while wearing a camisole, bloomers, corset, three crinolines, shirtwaist, jacket, long skirt, and boots. I reckon that's why they took a bath every Saturday, whether they needed one or not. :p

Joe Pelonio
08-06-2008, 2:05 PM
For those of you burning up in the heat, I have sympathy but here we are all enjoying the summer temperature, got to 88 yesterday, so far today 78 after dropping to 52 overnight. I always say that all the rain here is annoying but the summer makes up for it. Remind me I said that in a couple of months. :rolleyes:

Kevin Arceneaux
08-06-2008, 2:08 PM
Darn, it may make 90 today, but with a very nice 25 MPH trade wind. Though for some reason they put a building that blocks it to most of the jobsite. But then that is why we have a trailer. :)

Belinda Barfield
08-06-2008, 2:53 PM
For those of you burning up in the heat, I have sympathy but here we are all enjoying the summer temperature, got to 88 yesterday, so far today 78 after dropping to 52 overnight. I always say that all the rain here is annoying but the summer makes up for it. Remind me I said that in a couple of months. :rolleyes:

Darn, it may make 90 today, but with a very nice 25 MPH trade wind. Though for some reason they put a building that blocks it to most of the jobsite. But then that is why we have a trailer. :)

You guys just keep teasing us with all that great weather and you're gonna have a significant number of Creekers standing on your doorstep inquiring about your guest room! :D What do you say hot people, road trip?

Kevin Arceneaux
08-06-2008, 3:02 PM
From the front of the jobsite trailer

One from the other day

Belinda Barfield
08-06-2008, 3:28 PM
Thanks. Now I know we'll be beating a path to your door! Must be nice to have that lovely sky without a heat haze. What do you say hot people, road trip?

We're about due for our regularly scheduled pop up shower. One of those where rain drops turn to steam as soon as they hit the asphalt.

Even though I'm complaining about the heat, I really love it here. We're only miserable for three or so months. During the "winter" I rarely wear a coat, or even a heavy jacket. And this is my view at the end of the day . . .
94169 94168 94170

Kevin Arceneaux
08-06-2008, 4:26 PM
Temp wise it is not that bad, pretty much the year round. I had to laugh, this past "winter" is would be 68 in the morning, we start at 6:30AM, and they would have sweatshirts on. Jeez.

It is the sun that beats you here. The UV index can easily hit 14. Today they are calling for 12, while the number for SE Georgia is 11 today. Plus working on the water makes it worse.

Today's view out at the Pacific

And a view from Google earth to the jobsite

Belinda Barfield
08-06-2008, 6:34 PM
Kevin, thanks for the Google Earth view. That gives me a little bit better idea of where to land.:p

But seriously, who did you tick off to get sent to this terrible place?

Kevin Arceneaux
08-06-2008, 6:47 PM
The thing is, Hawaii was not supposed to be my project. But it ended up being mine. I was only supposed to be here 4 or 5 months to work the Dredge Job, not the 18 months so far. But their safety guy who was supposed to work this one quit right when I got here so I inherited this one. Thank God, dredge jobs are the worst, like watching grass grow.

I will get to work mainland projects after this one for a while until Bravo pier or X-ray pier start up.

If you do come, look out the left window, the landing pattern is just about right over the project. :)

Richard M. Wolfe
08-06-2008, 7:08 PM
Weather report from southwest of Fort Worth for the day. A couple days ago it was 104 and the high today was 72. Tropical depression Edouard came through pretty much over town. Way back when Hurrican Carla came through and was a little windier and rainier but this is only the second "hurricane" I've experienced. We get rains from them every few years but this is only the second time I've experienced any wind from one. It was blowing about thirty mph with rain. My gauge said 0.70" rain but I heard a town about thirty miles south and west got about eight inches in a few hours. Now we get to fight mosquitos for a while.

A guy at work and I have the same opinion about temperatures. We see each other outside when it's over 100 and say, "Still better than January".

Anthony Whitesell
08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
How about we trade a little? I'll send you some rain and you send me some sunny weather.

Bill Cunningham
08-10-2008, 9:58 PM
We are having the wettest summer on record for southern Ontario.... Animals have been gathering two by two at the local marina:confused:

Marjorie Saws
08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
It gets really hot over here, I don't like it when you open the car and all the humity and steam come out.

Joe Pelonio
08-14-2008, 6:40 PM
After being sympathetic for some of you in hotter places, we got up to 90 today and tomorrow I'll be working all day installing signs on a big apartment building, and of course, it's supposed to be over 100. We can't start too early, and wake up the tenants, and it's a 2 hour drive.

John Keeton
08-14-2008, 7:57 PM
Just to add some balance, our daytime temps have been in the low-mid 80's, with 55-60* nites - low humidity. Very strange, but welcome, August weather for us. Normally, we have high 90's, both temp and humidity, with 80* nites. I'm sure there will be a price for this someday in the near future, but for now, I'm really enjoying this!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
We are supposed to hit 106 F on Sunday. Of course our humidity will only be 20-30 %.

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I thought I'd revive this with an update.

It's raining so hard now the gutters are overflowing, and I think we've had an inch in the last hour. Glad I'm on top of a hill so it all runs away. Currently 52F, 11C - not exactly summer weather.

Belinda Barfield
08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Bummer with all the rain Joe. Nice temp though.

We're sitting at 80 (feels like 87) under a tropical storm watch and flash flood watch. We'll definitely have flooding with high tide and storm surge. Luckily we're just past the full moon. The ground here is pretty saturated so we're likely to have trees down if the wind hits like predicted. We lose power with a moderate blow, so I'm guessing I won't be working Friday. Pulled the hurricane preparedness kit out of the garage this a.m., and stocked up on extra water. Now we just wait to see which way Fay heads. Hang in there Floridians!

Glenn Clabo
08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Bright blue sky...light ocean breeze...75 degrees....PERFECT!

Heather Thompson
08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Bright blue sky...light ocean breeze...75 degrees....PERFECT!

Glenn,

Ok, it is not a light ocean breeze, but it is 75 degrees and a beautiful blue sky here, across the pond out back!

Heather :D

David G Baker
08-20-2008, 4:24 PM
It was in the low 40s overnight here in Mid Michigan.

Belinda Barfield
08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Currently being slammed by the first band of Fay. Predictions currently are for 3 to 6 inches of rain today. It's raining so hard water is coming in under the front door of the office as it can't run off fast enough in the parking lot. Gusty wind, flash flood warnings, etc. Nice day. Hope it's sunny in your world. :)