PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes brute force and ignorance is the way

Gary Herrmann
08-04-2008, 8:57 PM
I decided to get a Butler SwingAway for my 3520b as a bday present to myself. The tail stock isn't terribly heavy, but after my wife saw me taking the thing on and off the lathe a few times, she reminded me of the two vertebrae I broke when I got Tboned back in high school and my resultant re-ocurring back problems.

Multiple times. The reminder - not the vertebrae.

Per Don's instructions, you may may have to adjust the swingaway to be inline with the ways with a deadblow hammer.

Its a bit tight, but the tailstock slides on and off just fine. I'm sure it will get smoother over time, or I may tweak it a bit more later.

Don't follow my example of installing it after working out. You'll thank me.

Ahh. Nothing like adjusting a machine accessory with a hammer after a long day at work.

Mmm. Mongo fix. Grunt.

Mmm. Swingaway good. Snort.

Richard Madison
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
The ole "Don't force it. Use a bigger hammer." method still has its place. Hope your back is ok.

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Mongo got picture?

Gary Herrmann
08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Mongo look for camera...

robert hainstock
08-05-2008, 7:09 AM
I heard "get a bigger hammer" thousans of times in my tweny year military career. It must work!
Rest the back, you really don't want to grow old with back problems. :eek::)
Bob

Scott Lux
08-05-2008, 4:07 PM
Sometimes brute force and ignorance is the way

Got me through high school and college.

Steve Clardy
08-05-2008, 4:32 PM
Mongo get lost looking for camera? :confused:

Chuck Saunders
08-06-2008, 7:35 AM
There's another way besides Brute Force and Ingnorance?

Gary Herrmann
08-06-2008, 8:55 PM
Got busy with some other stuff. As requested...

Steve Clardy
08-06-2008, 9:24 PM
Thanks Mongo....er, Gary ;):D

Charles McKinley
08-06-2008, 10:47 PM
When all else fails INCREASE hammer size! Not alwaays pretty but usually effective.

As others said take care of your back. Now where is the gantry for lifting the blanks for all that swing?

Hilel Salomon
08-07-2008, 6:41 AM
If I could only put my considerable ignorance to use!! As for using the swingaway, I've been doing it regularly and it is great!! In addition to getting the tailstock out of the way for coring, I use it to get different angles on a bowl or vase.
Regards, Hilel