PDA

View Full Version : Hello, my first post

Tom Green
08-04-2008, 8:16 PM
Hello all,
I've been lurking for a while enjoying all the banter and pictures of everyones work. Also trying to learn as much as possible. I have been turning for two months and thought it was time to introduce myself and try to post a picture (hope it works).
Here is a pic of two pieces I did recently from cork oak. The smaller one is 7.5" w x 6.5" t and about 5/16" thick. The taller is 7.5" w x 8" t x 1/4 thick.
Please feel free to critique, I'm open to any suggestions
Thanks, Tom Green

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2008, 8:32 PM
Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex Tom!

Turning for 2 months?....Nice looking NE vases. I'd say you are progressing nicely with your turning skills. Keep at it! It is a never ending learning process and real enjoyable but expensive ride!

Toney Robertson
08-04-2008, 8:35 PM
Beautiful wood.

I am impressed with your technique, those could not have been easy to do.

Toney

Jerry Gerard
08-04-2008, 8:46 PM
Tom
Welcome to the creek , those sure look great . Your turnings are something to be proud of . Look forward to seeing more of your work .
Regards
Jerry

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2008, 9:01 PM
Welcome to the Creek Tom! Very nice work! I've been turning for almost 4 years now and still haven't turned a NE vase! When I do - sure hope it looks half as good as your's! Have fun - turn safe! Looking forward to seeing more real soon!

Tom Green
08-04-2008, 9:27 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I do enjoy turning and seeing what comes out in the wood. As for the expensive part:eek:, I have that under control, spend lots of money!!!
Here are a couple more pics of the taller vase. I turned it yesterday and it will do some twisting and warping over the next few weeks.
Thanks again, Tom

Richard Madison
08-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Tom,
Looks like a great job retaining the bark. Did you use CA or other "additives" to help stabilize/hold it in place?

Terry Achey
08-04-2008, 11:07 PM
wow, what stunning grain twists. Nice turnng Tom. Don't think I ever saw cork oak before. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Bill Bolen
08-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Welcome!! The more the merrier! Very ice work...I think I was still turning bonkers at the 2 month mark. Some even had those attractive spiral catches that are sooooo hard to do right...Bill...

lynn smith
08-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Exellent job on the bark. That can be very difficult.
nice choice of wood.

robert hainstock
08-05-2008, 6:53 AM
:)You, sir are a quick learner.
Bob

Scott Donley
08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome Tom, Very nice work, at two months I was still turning tea lights !
OT: I see you are from Biggs, I graduated from Biggs High in 1970. Was not sure if anyone even lived there anymore :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Welcome to SMC. Great looking HF's. Keep'em coming and post lots of pic's.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-05-2008, 1:11 PM
Outstanding pieces. I would NEVER think that you have only been turning for such a short time.

Bruce

Tom Green
08-05-2008, 2:40 PM
Thanks again to all!

Richard, I haven't glued anything on either vase yet..., The shorter one was turned two or three weeks ago and is holding the bark well. The tall vase was turned Sunday and already has a small spot trying to lift off, where there is a little spalting. I'll hit that spot with a little CA today. On a larger bowl I turned with a lot of spalting, probably 75% of the bark had to be glued.

Scott, I never dreamed I would hear from somebody from Biggs! I graduated in "77, and your name doesn't ring a bell. You may remember the trees that these come from. They are from the little grove of cork oaks (Cork Oak Park) behind the old concession stand southwest of the football field. According to my aunt and uncle, they were planted by my Great Grandfather W.W. Green in the 20s or 30s. I saw that there were a couple dead ones and asked the grounds crew (Tom Morris and Dave North, these names familiar?) what they were going to do with them. Not only did they let me have them, They cut them into logs and delivered it all to my home. By the way, Biggs is now a booming metropolis of about 1600 souls :eek:, you wouldn't recognize the place;).

Anyway, thanks again to all for the kind words.
Tom

Scott Donley
08-05-2008, 3:33 PM
Scott, I never dreamed I would hear from somebody from Biggs! I graduated in "77, and your name doesn't ring a bell. You may remember the trees that these come from. They are from the little grove of cork oaks (Cork Oak Park) behind the old concession stand southwest of the football field. According to my aunt and uncle, they were planted by my Great Grandfather W.W. Green in the 20s or 30s. I saw that there were a couple dead ones and asked the grounds crew (Tom Morris and Dave North, these names familiar?) what they were going to do with them. Not only did they let me have them, They cut them into logs and delivered it all to my home. By the way, Biggs is now a booming metropolis of about 1600 souls :eek:, you wouldn't recognize the place;).

Anyway, thanks again to all for the kind words.
Tom
Tom, When I was there the town had, 1 bank, 1store/gas station, a pool hall (had great burgers and fries), 1 bar with rooms above it to rent (I lived there for a couple months), and a burger stand that was open during the summer. That is about it ! My girlfriends dad owned a bunch of rice fields in Richvale, should have stuck around. Your right about running into others from there, not many of us !