PDA

View Full Version : Electric Pressure Washers

Randy Klein
08-04-2008, 7:30 PM
Our current electric pressure washer bit the dust. Any opinions on a replacement?

We're looking for good and cheap or maybe just a good one that won't die.

It seems all the reviews of the borg models are rather negative.

Dave Lehnert
08-04-2008, 9:48 PM
Our current electric pressure washer bit the dust. Any opinions on a replacement?

We're looking for good and cheap or maybe just a good one that won't die.

It seems all the reviews of the borg models are rather negative.
Are you looking for another electric or a gas? The smaller gas powered models that sell for around $300 have pumps that only have a life span of 40 hrs. Thats a long time for home use but if I had to do over I would have spent the extra $$$ and got a better unit with a CAT pump. Around $600+. If you do go with the cheaper unit don't get hung up with brand of engine. (IE Briggs vs Honda) The Honda is better but the Briggs will out last the pump buy a long shot.
I have the Troy Built 2550 psi unit from Lowe's for $279. I works very well. I use it to clean the deck, house and the like. Gets used about 3 hours a year so even at 40 hrs it will last a long time.
You may want to look at the house brand units at Northern tool. They are actually a manufacture of their own pressure washers and seem to rate very well.

Jim Becker
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I have a relatively inexpensive Husky from the 'Depot and have been quite pleased with it. We are only "occasional" users, so don't need anything more sophisticated or gas powered.

Tom Godley
08-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I would be interested in what you use it for. I use mine to clean concrete around my pool and driveway/walkway prior to putting on a sealer - I have a raised aggregate concrete that I need to seal to keep it looking nice :(

I have found that I need a gas unit - the electric units just do not cut it. But other than that -- and occasionally cleaning some brick I never use it.

I find it is too powerful cleaning my deck or when I need to clean my wood garden walls/ fence -- even when using the soap head.
I find that a garden sprayer with the correct cleaner and a hose works better for me.

A friend of mine has gone through few electric units - The last one he purchased was the same kind that they sell at the borg - forget the name - they are yellow -- I think they may be German. But I remember he had to order it because he was informed that he had to make sure he did not get a model made in asia. He has been very happy with it.

He uses it to clean off garden equipment -- and his car !!!

Randy Klein
08-05-2008, 8:16 PM
My wife uses it mainly to clean off kid toys that just can't get cleaned off any other way. We have 3 little kids, so we actually use it quite a bit.

So I don't need any high power unit, I just want one that will last.

Jason Roehl
08-05-2008, 8:40 PM
So I don't need any high power unit, I just want one that will last.

My experience is that those are pretty much mutually exclusive requirements. Professionally, my partner and I have burned through several pressure washers/pumps in the $700-1000 range (not really using them that much, either). What they had in common is that they are all direct drive--which wears out the pump in short order. Last fall, when we started a huge warehouse project (2 100'x480'x20' wall, 45' gable buildings, washed, primed and two topcoats, roofs included), we bought a belt-drive, 4000PSI unit. Night and day difference. We already have probably 10 times the hours on that unit over the other 2 or 3 we had put together. The only problem we had was the over-pressure valve blew when I left the unit hooked to the water over a cold night, with the water running to prevent freezing.......and some "helpful" person shut the water off for me...(spigot was about 500' away outside another building and around the corner).

Anyway, my point is that unless you are prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $1500 and up, the units are manufactured to a price point with components from the lowest bidder, and will eventually self-destruct due to the engine/motor vibrations being transferred through the direct drive shaft to the pump. Some might do better than others, but it's a crapshoot.

Randy Klein
08-06-2008, 6:20 AM
Anyway, my point is that unless you are prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $1500 and up, the units are manufactured to a price point with components from the lowest bidder, and will eventually self-destruct due to the engine/motor vibrations being transferred through the direct drive shaft to the pump. Some might do better than others, but it's a crapshoot.

That's what I was suspecting, thanks for the candid response. I guess I'll just consider these disposable and roll my chances with a yellow one from Lowes. Come on 7.

Bill Cunningham
08-10-2008, 9:34 PM
Most of the 'elcheapos' from the BORGS seem to work ok for most household use.. But sometimes you just need 'more power' :rolleyes: I keep my Boat in a Marina on a River, and the crud that forms on the hull is brutal.. Once i a while, I'll head out into the lake, where the water is clear and only about 5-6' deep (the river is pretty murky) and will hook up the 1800psi home unit to the on board water pump, and generator, drop over the side in scuba gear and use it to clean the hull underwater.. After the season, and the boat is out of the water, I need a 4000 psi unit to clean ALL the crud off the hull (the home unit just removes the slime and weed growth), and still spray it with industrial toilet bowl cleaner (4 bucks a quart and works every bit a good and most times better than $20.00 hull cleaner) then clean that off with the lower powered unit.. For next year, I think I'll just invest in a good antifoul bottom coat..