PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for removing PVA glue from laminate floor?

Allan Brown
08-04-2008, 4:09 PM
I'm thinking this forum is the best place to post this question:

How to remove white/yellow glue (PVA) from a laminate flooring (various spots over a 3-5 sq. ft. surface)?

The origins of this problem are traced to a contractor, and wasn't found until he was gone.

Frank Drew
08-04-2008, 4:23 PM
Allan,

Scraping works well; one of those inexpensive hardware store paint scrapers would work. Alternatively, the common forms of these glues soften when wet, so you could place a damp cloth over the spots and come back in fifteen or twenty minutes and scrape up the softened glue.

Allan Brown
08-04-2008, 4:29 PM
I considered both those alternatives, but was hoping for a magic bullet. HAHA! I guess I could approach the scraping carefully so as not to damage the surface of the laminate film, but will probably try a warm damp rag first.

Thanks, Frank!

Thomas Williams
08-04-2008, 4:42 PM
I'd have the contractor come back to the job and watch what he uses.:)

Lee Schierer
08-04-2008, 4:44 PM
Unless the glue is "water proof" variety, get several small sponges and soak them in water. Place a small wet sponge over each glue drip. Wait until the water softens the glue and wipe it up.

Ken Garlock
08-05-2008, 1:57 PM
My shop floor has epoxy paint, and I have had great luck just using a putty knife to pop the glob of glue loose. Now Tite-Bond III is another story. If you let it cure for more than a day, you can get it off with a putty knife, but the paint may come with it.