PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Mature Tool Gloat ??

Joe D'Attilio
08-04-2008, 3:53 PM
Well its been about 3 months now I think since I got my toes wet in the Vortex...

I took advantage of the 10% sale @ Woodcraft 2 weekends ago and am almost...the proud new owne of the new Jet 12x20VS
OH YEAH IM EXCITED!

(PICS will follow once i get the call to pick up my new "baby")

I've been turning all pens and although I will be continuing my adventure down the inkwell lane...

My question is what type of center(s)/chuck(s) would I need to do other types of work, i.e. Bowls, peppermills, bottle stoppers, boxes?

Would I need a different one for each or is there a "nice" universal to step-up my tunring experience?

robert hainstock
08-04-2008, 4:13 PM
Not familiar with that lathe, so will not offer you any help on chucks, I will however offer a hearty welcome to the spinny hole thingy. :):)
Bob

Johnny Kleso
08-04-2008, 4:32 PM
Amazon has good prices on a SPI crown drive centers 5/8" and 1" as will as a cupped live center..

I have a 9x20 South Bend metal lathe I use and the only chuck I can buy is a One Way Stronghold (most expensive) they are the only one who makes a 1 1/2-8 woodworking chuck thread I know of..

Myself I would buy a Jet chuck as they are about $100 cheaper but they only go to 1 1/4-8

Thom Sturgill
08-04-2008, 5:00 PM
Joe, I hope you'll love the 1220VS as much as I do mine. I bought one a few months ago (my first lathe in 40+ years, and the earlier one was a metal-working lathe). It comes with a 'live' center for the tailstock and a spur for the headstock and a 4" faceplate and it uses 1"-8tpi accessories.

I bought the PSI Barracuda2 kit with four sets of jaws + a set of jumbo jaws' as a starter set and currently have my first bowl mounted now having played with spindles for awhile. It seems to work well, and be well made, and the price was right. Others speak highly of the OneWay chuck, and from the looks of their other equipment (I have the wolverine jig), I'm sure that you could not go wrong with them.

Joe D'Attilio
08-05-2008, 3:13 PM
So what type of things would the 4" face plate be used for turning?

What else would I need to turn other things noted in my original msg?