PDA

View Full Version : Need inexpensive replacement riving knife for ESTS

Noah Levy
08-04-2008, 2:57 PM
Seems my rediculously overpriced Italian sliding table saw company wants $158 for a replacement riving knife! All absurdities aside, I'm wondering if these things are pretty much interchangable from one company to another? They sure look like it from the picutures I can see in the catalogs. I can get one from Grizzly for $8 but figured someone here may have actually done this before and knows for sure. Otherwise, I'll just take a chance on the Grizz.
Thanks!
Noah

glenn bradley
08-04-2008, 4:01 PM
If you have your old one, a local machine shop should be able match it for well under $100 unless it is more complex than most.

Noah Levy
08-04-2008, 4:16 PM
No, doesn't seem complex; actually seems rediculously simple, especially when you consider how much they want for it. It's just a curved piece of sheet metal with a slot cut out from the bottom up about 1/3 of the way. Looks like just about every other riving knife out there. I could cut one out of cardboard in about one minute...

Simon Dupay
08-04-2008, 6:43 PM
$198 for a splitter? Well it's not as bad as the Holz-Her slider at work I think my boss said $300!
For $8 I try the Griz first.

Chuck Tringo
08-05-2008, 9:56 AM
I agree, go with the griz, and if the mounting bracket is different, you should be able to modify it to match with a grinder/dremel/jigsaw with metal cutting blade/file. I hated the guard/splitter that came with my proshop, so While Im waiting for my Sharkguard to arrive, I cut it in half with a jigsaw and filed it down so I at least have the safety of a splitter about 1 1/4 inches in height.