PDA

View Full Version : What is pre-catalyzed lacquer?

tom tangie
08-04-2008, 2:03 PM
The retail HW stores dont carry brush on lacquer any longer which I used for years to spray on. The paint stores carry many different lacquers in gallons, but what is pre-catalyzed lacquer. Will I peform much like the brush on lacquer I am used to using?
thanks

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-04-2008, 3:18 PM
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Materials/MaterialsAllAbout.aspx?id=2948

From the article:
If you want to buy a catalyzed lacquer, you will be faced with the choice between either the pre- or the post-catalyzed version. Both of them have a limited pot life, based on when the catalyst is added. The manufacturers of pre-catalyzed lacquer add the catalyst either at the factory, or in the store at the point of purchase. If you buy a post-catalyzed lacquer, you will have to purchase the catalyst separately, in another container, and do the mixing yourself. When mixing your own, there isn’t a lot of leeway for getting the proportions right; you have to be precise to end up with a finish that will cure properly.

tom tangie
08-04-2008, 3:22 PM
Looks like Deft Brushing Lacquer cant be sold in Southern California.

Steve Clardy
08-04-2008, 4:48 PM
Is Watco brushing lacquer available there?

Robin Cruz
08-04-2008, 9:46 PM
no brushing lacquer at all in the hardware stores. The paint store has gallons of lacquer though. . hardware stores have plenty of lacquer thinner butno lacquer.

Jim Becker
08-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Be aware that pre-cat lacquer is a product that you need to have the right environment and personal safety gear to use safely.

jeremy levine
08-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Maybe you could find this
http://www.deftfinishes.com/trade/OurProducts/details.cfm?ProductID=14

tom tangie
08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
they got plenty of that......its water based.....no thanks

Jim Becker
08-06-2008, 7:02 AM
Tom, water borne finishes are not what they were even a few years ago...those from the top brands are really great finishes and don't carry the risks that solvent based products do. And I'm not talking about the typical retail brands; rather, products from Target Coatings, Fuhr International, General Finishes, etc.

Joe Chritz
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
What Jim said.

Water base finishes have very little negatives if any at all. When I first started spraying I used Valspar Pre-cat and it is very good stuff. Now I use Target USL and it sprays as easy and is just as durable, maybe more. There is about a 5-6 minute longer flash time but that is the only "negative".

I assume the brushing versions are very similar in quality.

Joe

tom tangie
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
what is flash time? Target does not seem to list any retailers. Is it only direct order?

Jim Becker
08-06-2008, 3:32 PM
Target does not seem to list any retailers. Is it only direct order?

You can order direct or from Homesteadfinishing.com (Jeff Jewitt)