PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

mreza Salav
08-04-2008, 1:27 PM
Hi,

I'm fairly new into bowl turning. This one is perhaps 5th or 6th bowl I have turned. It is out of Walnut and Cherry, about 8" wide and 9" tall, the finish is walnut oil.

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2008, 2:02 PM
Mresa - I think you've got a winner there! Beautiful wood combination, great design, nice detail work on the spindle and a soft finish! Interesting foot design - simple and fits the style of the piece! If this is only #5 or #6 - then I am seriously looking forward to #7! Have fun with it!

Brian Brown
08-04-2008, 3:05 PM
Fairly new my elbow... or you're a turrning prodigy! That is georgous! Nice form and well turned. Also a fun style we don't see too often.

Scott Lux
08-04-2008, 3:57 PM
I'd expect to see that in a cathedral or museum. "Here is the ceremonial goblet used by Charlemagne at his wedding." Or something equally regal.

The form looks both ancient and contemporary. Well done.

At first glance, the foot struck me as a little small for the top, but now I'm not sure. I think it's fine.

Bill Bolen
08-04-2008, 4:06 PM
Superb form! All the elements work so well together. You have a great eye for shape and a perfect choice for the woods used. The turning seems flawless! Not a tool mark to be seen. I'm anxious for #7..Bill..

curtis rosche
08-04-2008, 5:12 PM
that looks awsome, the only thing i can see is that from the grain on the inside, it looks like the bottom of the inside of the bowl part is sloped up instead of a consistent curve. but even that took a while to find. great peice

Glenn Hodges
08-04-2008, 5:27 PM
Beautiful, it really catches the eye.

Alan Trout
08-04-2008, 5:48 PM
Really nice I like it.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2008, 5:54 PM
What a wonderful looking piece. I really like the wood combo. Nice finish.

Nathan Hawkes
08-04-2008, 5:57 PM
Nice work. I really like the form, and the use of contrasting wood is great. At first glance, I thought the cherry was a brass inlay ring. The grain is visible, but walnut is an open grained wood, after all. Nice work. It makes me think of a medieval banquet!

mreza Salav
08-04-2008, 8:01 PM
Thanks for the comments.
My wife too said it has an ancient look, some from centuries ago.
As for the center of the inside being upper or not: it has a consistent slope, very mildly towards the center; maybe the light is tricking the eye.

Richard Madison
08-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Mreza,
Ditto what they said, and one addition. Can not tell for sure from the pictures, but assume you have the grain fairly closely aligned among the laminated pieces and have tried to avoid cross grain joints.

Years ago (like, 20) I did a number of laminated pieces with crossed grains, erroneously thinking that it would make the pieces stronger. At the time was doing deep, glassy urethane finishes. Checking some of those pieces today, I can feel the joints in many places that were originally glass smooth, due mainly to the uneven expansion/contraction in the cross grain layers.

Terry Achey
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Yowza! ...what a beautiful piece of work!

Mreza, would you mind sharing the basic steps to make such a nice piece? How you laminated, type of glue, and so on? I'm intrigued... but not advanced enough to understand.

Thanks,
Terry

mreza Salav
08-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Mreza,
Ditto what they said, and one addition. Can not tell for sure from the pictures, but assume you have the grain fairly closely aligned among the laminated pieces and have tried to avoid cross grain joints.

Yes, I was careful about it. Not only the pieces are not cross-grain, but also the direction of the grain match to some good degree (especially on the two walnut pieces, they nicely continue over the cherry one).

Yowza! ...what a beautiful piece of work!

Mreza, would you mind sharing the basic steps to make such a nice piece? How you laminated, type of glue, and so on? I'm intrigued... but not advanced enough to understand.

Thanks,
Terry

The bowl was made from a 8/4 board of walnut (8.75" wide) and some 4/4 cherry and walnut planed down to about 3/8" for the top and about 7/8" for the base of the bowl. They were first planed, joined, and glued. Foot is built similarly. The whole thing is made in three pieces, the foot, the spindle, and the bowl and then glued together; simple round tenons at the ends of the spindle that go into holes made in the foot and bowl.

lynn smith
08-05-2008, 12:36 AM
You have a good eye, I would definitely say that you are a natural.
Wood choice's are good for this piece.
Finish looks really good.
I'll just bet you had a good feeling about this piece.
Nice job.
Do you have pictures of #1 through #4?
Is #7 in the oven?

mreza Salav
08-05-2008, 1:15 AM
You have a good eye, I would definitely say that you are a natural.
Wood choice's are good for this piece.
Finish looks really good.
I'll just bet you had a good feeling about this piece.
Nice job.
Do you have pictures of #1 through #4?
Is #7 in the oven?

Ok, here is #1 (out of maple):

and #2 (out of walnut):

At the time I turned these, I didn't have a cole jaw, so couldn't finish the foot on them. No #3 and #4 come in the next post.

mreza Salav
08-05-2008, 1:18 AM
Here is No #3 out of a blank of poplar. The finish isn't good; bad choice of finish which dried too quickly.

And this is #4, out of curly maple and walnut: